Please help me with this weird audio problem...

Participant count
  • Participants list

justinc621

Okay so I have 2 amps. distribution block for the 12v splitting to the amps. one amp running 2 12's and the other amp running the 4 in car speakers. 

The subs have been in my car for years and never a problem, but I just added the amp for the speakers which I just purchased as a package - all 4 speakers and amp Boss Riot brand. 

When I got it all hooked up I turned the key over but did not start the car and it sounded awesome! Cranked it up and had em blasting!! Turn the key off and put the car back together.

However when I then actually started the car I got a humming/whining noise that gets louder as I accelerate. But not from the subs, only the 4 speakers. I have tried EVERYTHING from moving the ground, unhooking the distribution block and just running power directly to that amp, i went and bought even thicker speaker wire than what came with the package and re-wired it. I tried using the RCA cables that run to the subs.

Nothing seems to work. I searched the internet finding all kinds of wiring parts I've never had to use before. filters for the power line, rca cables, ground loop isolators, etc. I have no clue what I might need for my specific problem. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

In my experience, good rca cables with rca ground loop isolator fixed the problem.

IF you want to do the job properly, you can buy another noise filter for both the amp and the HU. If the noise filter fixed the problem, you won't need the rca ground loop isolator since it reduces sound quality.

Edit: if you can, that boss amp is not the best, probably a new amp is less hassling, rather than Frankenstein wiring ground isolator noise filter mumbo jumbo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my amp/speaker package came a day late after paying for overnight shipping, so rather than a refund I found a noise filter they had and they agreed to overnight ship it to me instead so that will be here Tuesday. In the meantime I'm going to do the one thing I did not try - hook a speaker up to the amp that runs my subs and see if that stops it. Then I'll at least know it is that amp. If it is and the noise filter doesn't work, I'll just get a new amp. Definitely don't want to be running all kinds of wires everywhere. 

EDIT: Just hooked up a speaker to the other amp, started the car, no engine/alternator noise! Definitely the cheap amp lmao

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.