Please help in ine crossover question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jr1993

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi I'm relativity new to car audio installs. I have a 2002 mercury sable with the premium sound and I recently replaced the 6x8 four speakers in the front doors and on the rear deck. The problem is there is just way too much treble unless I use an equalizer on my phone however I want to listen to the radio sometimes. I'm powering all 4 speakers with a pioneer gm-a5702 so the amp doesn't have settings specifically for full range speaker. I have the speakers wired in series including the tweeters and I'm using the factory inline crossover. Could the crossover be effecting the other speakers since they are wired in series? Another part of this that confused me was all the speakers have a final impedance of 4 ohms to the amp. I am going to check how many ohms the tweeter is as soon as it stops raining but I know the door speakers are 4 ohm and I guess I was assuming the tweeters were also 4 ohm. So just to recap I have 3 speaker on each channel of the amp and there is just too much treble is this because the in line crossover is wired into the series. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you
Those speakers are meant to get a full range signal, so first thing is to remove the inline crossover that did not come with them. Second, make sure the amp is set to Full Range as well. Third, the speakers should be wired parallel. This way your final impedance should be 2ohms, and the amp will feed 120 watts to each side. Last, set the GAIN low, crank radio to about 75% volume, then raise GAIN until you feel that speakers are at the safe loudest volume. Just as a precaution, mind the polarity of each speaker. It is easy to overlook the details.

First off thank you so much for the replies! So I have the inline crossover for the tweeters not the 6x8 full range however the speakers are wired in series. They are skar audio rpx 6x8 2 way coaxial speakers so I would want the gain really low in order not to blow them. The amp is set to full range but but I don't want the tweeters to.recive the low hz tones can I just wire the 2 6x8 Parallel and then run the tweeter of the front door instead of having it in series with the other speaker? And how would this effect the ohm load?

Pioneer lists that amp as having a low-pass filter only. Is that correct?

I'd like to know exactly what you are running and how it is configured. How could you connect the tweeters separately from the coaxial speakers? Are you running additional tweeters that aren't part of your coaxials?

I haven't seen a factory, inline crossover before. Can you find a part number?

As I understand, you are connecting two high-pass filters in series. Depending on the configuration of the filter circuits, this could affect the cutoff frequency.

I don't know of any drivers that are "full-range". The term usually applies to speaker systems that have specific drivers and integrated passive filters. That's not to say such a driver doesn't exist, but I don't know of any.

- Joe

I'd like to know exactly what you are running and how it is configured. How could you connect the tweeters separately from the coaxial speakers? Are you running additional tweeters that aren't part of your coaxials?

As I understand, you are connecting two high-pass filters in series. Depending on the configuration of the filter circuits, this could affect the cutoff frequency.

I don't know of any drivers that are "full-range". The term usually applies to speaker systems that have specific drivers and integrated passive filters. That's not to say such a driver doesn't exist, but I don't know of any.

- Joe
Thats correct it only has a low pass filter so I I that turned off so the speakers get the full range of hz I installed the skar rpx 6x8 speaker the left channel of the amp is setup so the positive and negative go to the rear deck speaker from ther the positive of the rear deck jumps to the inline crossover that leads to the positive of the tweet. The negative of the rear deck jumps to the negative of the front door speaker and the negative of the crossover goes to the tweet negative and the front door speaker positive. Im Wondering if the crossover is effecting the other speakers because of the way its wired? If so I can just run the 2 6x8 in parallel and then jump the tweeter of the front door speaker. How would it effect the ohms if I ran it this way would it still run at 2 ohms?

So I have the inline crossover for the tweeters not the 6x8 full range however the speakers are wired in series.
Yes, the tweeters come with their own filter, let them be. The 6x8s can handle a full range signal without issues. Wired in series means when the Negative of one speaker goes to the Positive of the other. This raises the impedance so the amp puts out less power. Tweeters and mids are usually wired parallel, it does not adversely affect the impedance load. So with two tweeters and two mids wired in parallel, your final resistance reads around 2ohms.
The amp is set to full range but but I don't want the tweeters to.recive the low hz tones can I just wire the 2 6x8 Parallel and then run the tweeter of the front door instead of having it in series with the other speaker?
The tweeter's filter will prevent low frequency, so no worries. Wire all in parallel and you are set. Each set of speakers (2mids 2 highs) can handle 70w RMS. The amp powers 120w RMS @2ohms per side. So like you said, mind that gain. On that note, parallel is all Positives together and all Negatives together.
Screenshot_20210706-182735.png

It is full range until you activate the low pass filter switch.
It just hit me, it seems like you have all wired correct. Only part vexing me is that "extra" inline capacitor. Were you referring to the capacitor that came with the new tweeters or another? Also the series/parallel has me wondering.

Yes, the tweeters come with their own filter, let them be. The 6x8s can handle a full range signal without issues. Wired in series means when the Negative of one speaker goes to the Positive of the other. This raises the impedance so the amp puts out less power. Tweeters and mids are usually wired parallel, it does not adversely affect the impedance load. So with two tweeters and two mids wired in parallel, your final resistance reads around 2ohms.

The tweeter's filter will prevent low frequency, so no worries. Wire all in parallel and you are set. Each set of speakers (2mids 2 highs) can handle 70w RMS. The amp powers 120w RMS @2ohms per side. So like you said, mind that gain. On that note, parallel is all Positives together and all Negatives together.
View attachment 30295
It just hit me, it seems like you have all wired correct. Only part vexing me is that "extra" inline capacitor. Were you referring to the capacitor that came with the new tweeters or another? Also the series/parallel has me wondering.
I don't recall him him saying "capacitor" at all. Is this another episode of you piggybacking on my insight to try to make yourself sound smart?

the positive of the rear deck jumps to the inline crossover that leads to the positive of the tweet. The negative of the rear deck jumps to the negative of the front door speaker and the negative of the crossover goes to the tweet negative and the front door speaker positive.
I had to draw this. You are definitely filtering your front 6x8s. Put the POS of the rear speaker to the POS front door. From POS front door to inline filter then to tweeter POS. From front door NEG to tweeter NEG. Done

View attachment 30295
Well I'm actually using stock tweets right now. The car had the premium 6 speaker setup. The inline crossover I'm talking about is actually just the factory crossover for the factory tweets. I think I will just write it all parallel and have the gain set really low to prevent blowing the speakers.

View attachment 30295
I could be wrong but the only technicality I noticed in the advice here is at 2 ohms this amp does 240 rms per channel it does 150 per channel at 4 ohms but I believe I can just keep the gain very low and it should be fine right?

- Joe
When I take the door panel off tomorrow I will send a picture of the inline crossover I mentioned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...