Pioneer DEX-P99RS

Just curious, how do you have your speakers setup with a front and rear stage?
Its an older camry tweeters opposite the side mirrors, subs near the base of the door, with the max frequency range going to them on the passive x-over.

Rear stage is 6x9 behind the headrests of the back seat...

Maybe a good idea to pull the rear head rests?

Well, running passive front stage with tweet/mid in two different locations is definitely NOT going to play well with TA.

For TA to work properly, each speaker needs to be ran on its own channel. Since you're running passive, you actually have 4 speakers in 4 separate spots with only 2 channels. This is probably why you see funny distances since the HU "thinks" the front stage is only 1 full range speaker..

The P99 was designed to run an active 3-way front stage and subs, on all individual channels. It has the capability to do all the crossovers for each speaker, so using passives is pointless.

Im only using 6 of the available 8 channels. Im only running a two way front stage and no rear fill.

If I were you I would get a 4ch and run the front stage active, just leave the rears disconnected for now, re-do the Auto TA and see how you like it. The TA would yield much better results like this.

EDIT: I know its more work to run separate speaker wires for each speaker, but thats how it was designed to be ran. When I installed my system over 6 years ago, Im glad I ran extra speaker wire from the trunk to the front, just in case I decided to run active one day;)

Well, running passive front stage with tweet/mid in two different locations is definitely NOT going to play well with TA.
For TA to work properly, each speaker needs to be ran on its own channel. Since you're running passive, you actually have 4 speakers in 4 separate spots with only 2 channels. This is probably why you see funny distances since the HU "thinks" the front stage is only 1 full range speaker..

The P99 was designed to run an active 3-way front stage and subs, on all individual channels. It has the capability to do all the crossovers for each speaker, so using passives is pointless.

Im only using 6 of the available 8 channels. Im only running a two way front stage and no rear fill.

If I were you I would get a 4ch and run the front stage active, just leave the rears disconnected for now, re-do the Auto TA and see how you like it. The TA would yield much better results like this.

EDIT: I know its more work to run separate speaker wires for each speaker, but thats how it was designed to be ran. When I installed my system over 6 years ago, Im glad I ran extra speaker wire from the trunk to the front, just in case I decided to run active one day;)
I'll work on getting some more channels in the rear and switching over to active. I appreciate your advice, thank you.

After some more critical listinging I had to change how I feel about the deck's autotune. I still use it, but make adjustments to the equilizer to make it sound better...

I have found that I kind of enjoy running with auto tune on. I also leave the sound retriever on low for most music... I like the way it sounds that way.

I also pulled the head rests out on the rear seats, it helps some.

Last edited by a moderator:
God, I wish I could be there when you run get the wire ran and hear it active the first time. You are going to lose your mind, lol. Especially considering the quality of your equipment.

Also.. nice review, and congrats on winning for it.

God, I wish I could be there when you run get the wire ran and hear it active the first time. You are going to lose your mind, lol. Especially considering the quality of your equipment.
Thanks man! I really appreicate the encouragement. I expect big changes, with the HAT's I got coming (L1 pro, L4SE, and L6SE)... I wish there were more local people who enjoyed this hobby >.

I saw your install thread and that looks really awesome. I am definately going to try to follow suit and try to do this install rock solid correct, no corner cutting.

On a side note, you and I have got to be on the same wavelength or something, because I was re-reading this theard when I saw your comment come up. What are the chances?

I saw your install thread and that looks really awesome.
Thank you

On a side note, you and I have got to be on the same wavelength or something, because I was re-reading this theard when I saw your comment come up. What are the chances?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif ....some x-file's shiz goin on around here...

Thank you

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif ....some x-file's shiz goin on around here...
Anytime!

The truth is out there... lolz

I am curious did you start out active on your build or start passive then switch? I hear really great things about that x994.

wish i had that kinda money :/
$hit's not cheap that's for sure and I am not rich by any means. I am gonna have to lay low on the audio stuff after this build is done... for a while.

Aside from my sub box and 4 of the 6 HATs, all the equipment I have was purchased used and for about 1/2 the list price.

The L4se and l6se's are new, but the boxes are dented so I was able to find them discounted on DIY with the help of some members here.

Saved a few hundered on them.

I wish there were more local people who enjoyed this hobby >.I'll be living in Knoxville next year for college, a long time from now I know, but I agree not too many people in memphis who actually have this as a hobby

Anytime!
The truth is out there... lolz

I am curious did you start out active on your build or start passive then switch? I hear really great things about that x994.
Started passive. Found out by accident that my amp was active capable, so i dug into it after that. The deck is really nice for the $. Its not an active unit, but the Time alignment works well, and it has excellent sound to it.

wish i had that kinda money :/
Me too, but I am pretty happy with knowing that I have done what I have with so little.

I'll be living in Knoxville next year for college, a long time from now I know, but I agree not too many people in memphis who actually have this as a hobby
Right on man, I teach at UT. We should have a beer sometime.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

West

Banned
West
Oliver Springs, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views