Pioneer DEH-P880PRS and Preout option Tweeter, Mid, Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

ToxicBanana
10+ year member

CA
Ok, so as I understand it. Audio crossovers are a class of electronic filters designed for the purpose of splitting the audio signal into separate frequency bands which can be handled by individual loudspeaker drivers.

Now that being said, the Pioneer DEH-P880PRS has two preout options.

1) (normal) Front, Rear, Subs

2) (3 way network) Tweets, Mids, Subs

I bought a HD-62 a few years back but the Mid was upgraded to a ES-07 7" Mid/Woofer. so would that make the crossover not perfectly made for this mid? and wouldn't I be better off with the amp powering the tweets and mids independently?

HD-62US Set Specs.

Midrange: 6.5" Cast carbon treated.

Mounting dept: 2 3/4”.

Crossover: ES-200US “Transient Optimized” Elliptic 4th order 2-way with Built-in UpStage design.

UpStage Ready!

Power handling: 200 watt RMS @ 100Hz High Pass.

Frequency response: 65-20kHz.

Sensitivity: 92.6 dB.

Impedance: 4 Ohm.

Main tweeter: DRT-25 extended range 1” silk.

7" Woofer Specs

Diameter: 7” (180mm)

Sensitivity: 92.2 dB

Power Handling: 100 Wrms (200W pk) (IB) // Sealed (200rms+)

Frequency Response: 50 ~ 5000 hZ

Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms

Voice Coil Diameter: 1.5” (38mm)

Dimensions:

The Amp is a Rockford Fosgate 1000 25 to Life.

Birth sheet is.

4ohms = 108Watts X 4

1ohm sub = 956watts.

yep, switch it to network, them run the tweet amp off the high pre out, run the mid amo off the mid pre out, and the woofer amp off the low-preout.

The only thing that bugs me is that even though these speakers are rated for 100 Watts Rms I remember pumping more through them.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6554_Hifonics+TXi+6406.html

I owned this model (or maybe an older one) and the amp would get pretty hot when running those components.

they are rated for 340watts and I know they did not go that high, I assume 220ish?

figuring a 70amp fuse @ 12v @ 55% efficiency = 230Watts X 2

Playing the tweets and mids separate would mean this amp would be at 4Ohms instead of 2 Ohms thus lowering my output watts by 300% (109 Watts RMS vs 284 Watts RMS) and that may mean I would need another amp so the Mids can be bridged.

If thats the case, is it worth adding an amp or using the crossover?

That is not true, they both still see the same power, they don't play the same frequencies so the power is distributed all about the power band.

You do NOT need to run active just because you have the upgraded 7".

If you run in network mode, then do you lose the ability to adjust the speaker balance left/right front/back? What do you do to remedy this?
In network mode, 1: you MUST be running active in most cases, 2: you use TIME ALIGNMENT instead of fade/balance. I'm guessing many of you are throwing it into network mode not knowing what it does.

In network mode, 1: you MUST be running active in most cases, 2: you use TIME ALIGNMENT instead of fade/balance. I'm guessing many of you are throwing it into network mode not knowing what it does.
So if I have mid and tweet speakers in all four corners, the left woofers are controlled by one channel, and the right woofers are controlled by another. If I were to have more/less efficient/loud speakers in the front than in the back, how would I go about getting my sound balanced from front to back?

I understand you said TIME ALIGNMENT, but plz forgive my lack of knowledge and elaborate how time alignment will allow the front/back adjustment.

I've had a 880prs running in standard mode for a while, and am very happy with it. I am just interested in perhaps taking it to the next level and trying the network mode.

Thanks in advance.

------- EDIT -------

I may have found the answer to my own question. Ideally, I would take the MID output from the 880 in network mode, send it to a active crossover unit, where it would get divided into 4 channels for each corner. Then it would go to a 4 channel amp. Same for the tweets, etc. Is this right? or am i totally stupid? If this is the case, do I have to make all the TA adjustments on the active crossover, instead of on the head unit?

So if I have mid and tweet speakers in all four corners, the left woofers are controlled by one channel, and the right woofers are controlled by another. If I were to have more/less efficient/loud speakers in the front than in the back, how would I go about getting my sound balanced from front to back?
I understand you said TIME ALIGNMENT, but plz forgive my lack of knowledge and elaborate how time alignment will allow the front/back adjustment.

I've had a 880prs running in standard mode for a while, and am very happy with it. I am just interested in perhaps taking it to the next level and trying the network mode.

Thanks in advance.

------- EDIT -------

I may have found the answer to my own question. Ideally, I would take the MID output from the 880 in network mode, send it to a active crossover unit, where it would get divided into 4 channels for each corner. Then it would go to a 4 channel amp. Same for the tweets, etc. Is this right? or am i totally stupid? If this is the case, do I have to make all the TA adjustments on the active crossover, instead of on the head unit?

THe point of network mode is so you do not have to use an external crossover. It has 3 - way actve capability built in. Now for your specific use, which is not recommended, you could use the gains on your amps to adust for different variances in the tweet and midbass, and use your fader, but not much else. A proper setup would be one in which you do not use more than 2 midbass (could be more) but in the front doors, and then 2 tweeters.

nismos14 - Completely understood now. Thanks for the explanation. I have a 2 door coupe and rarely put ppl in the back.

In your opinion, should I just forget about the rear deck speakers, and take advantage of my 880's active crossover, and run only speakers in my front door?

The only thing i worry about is not having enough of a "full" sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ToxicBanana

10+ year member
ToxicBanana
CA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from