Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX won't save system settings

Newtonf57

CarAudio.com Newbie
Seriously need your help here. I'm praying I don't have to replace this headunit.

Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX will not save any system settings.

Examples of settings that are lost every reboot: System Password, XM Tuner Settings, XM Last Channel Tuned, Camera Settings

Examples of settings that SURVIVE every reboot: Clock/Date, Any Audio Settings (eq, fade, HPF/LPF, Time Alignment)

The problem showed up when I reactivated my XM subscription and I noticed it would tune to channel 1 every time I start the truck. I also kept getting notifications for Featured Bands having been updated. I went into settings and found how to turn of the bands notifications. Next time I drove the truck the notification popped up so I went and check the setting and it had reset. I started digging in further and found a bunch of settings that won't stick. If I power the headunit down it saves them. Turn the key off they go away. Again, I do have survival of the clock, presets, audio settings etc and I'm 100% positive that the acc wire and 12v constant are NOT backwards because of this.

When I had XM in this truck a year ago I did not have this issue to my knowledge.

And I have no idea why I can't change the system password or clear it because that has nothing to do with XM at all.

The ONLY change I can think of is I updated the firmware about 6 weeks ago.

I have performed a full reset of the headunit and also reflashed the new firmware thinking it didn't take right. The problem lives on.

Can you guys think of anything else I can do?

Nobody has any ideas?
I am having the same exact issue on the same model unit. I am beginning to wonder if it is something with the XM add on module. FM Tuner presets seem to remain intact. XM is frozen to what I have had it at for a long time. I can change presets during use, and they remain saved. But power cycle the truck, and the presets are back to the way they were before. It didn't do this for a year, and then the problem manifested. I have changed nothing on the wiring.

Anybody have some thoughts?

I am having the same exact issue on the same model unit. I am beginning to wonder if it is something with the XM add on module. FM Tuner presets seem to remain intact. XM is frozen to what I have had it at for a long time. I can change presets during use, and they remain saved. But power cycle the truck, and the presets are back to the way they were before. It didn't do this for a year, and then the problem manifested. I have changed nothing on the wiring.

Anybody have some thoughts?
Newtonf57 - did you ever find a resolution? I'm still stuck. I've called Pioneer. I've been to CarToys. I've flashed the firmware from 1.01 to 1.02 multiple times from multiple sources. It always looks successful, but remains on 1.01 after the reboot. I've disconnected the battery for 20 minutes. I've done software resets in the menu, I've done the pinhole reset on the front. I've reset sirusxm in the menu, I've disconnected the sirius tuner and then flashed the firmeware. Car Toys had me call Sirius and that was useless. I can't tell if this in an issue with the add in sirius modulator tuner or the 4400. Everything to no avail. I paid for a 5 year warranty, but that means pulling the radio and letting Car Toys send it off to Pioneer. The manager told me with Covid it could be months and months before I get it back. So, right now, I'm just dealing with the inconvenience. Presets on Sirius are stuck for ever the way they are, and it will always start on channel 94. Presets can be changed and remain intact until a power cycle, and then they revert back. FM presets do not have this problem.

UGH.

Nobody has any ideas?
I finally found a solution on Youtube and another forum. The SD card inside the unit has gone bad. It is what holds the OS that the unit boots up from, and apparently it also saves the settings (or doesn't).

Watch this video on YouTube, and read the comments. It is an easy enough fix to do yourself, if you are semi handy. I did mine in couple of hours including removing the 4400 from my truck, disassembling the radio, replacing the SD card, and re-assembling and installing.

You'll need to buy a new SD card. I got a 16GB 120mb/sec card at Walmart for under $10.

Then you'll need to download SD Card Formatter to format the card from here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/sd-memory-card-formatter-for-windows-download/

Next, download Win32DiskImager to move the image file (img) to the new SD Card from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

And then download the img file from this URL: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/82490-backups-and-images/page/8/

Hope you see this and it helps!

Cheers!

DUDE..........

I get so many emails that this honest to god almost got lost in the Sea of marketing emails in my inbox. THANK YOU SO MUCH. If this fixes my issue I am going to be ecstatic. I can't believe that's all it might be. I also find it unbelievable that Pioneer would use such a chincy SD card that it can't last more than a couple of years. I have SD Cards from 2007 that still work. I'm going to be all over this sometime this week when I get a moment. I will be sure to come back and post the results. Thank you again so much for the post!

IT WOOOOOORRRRRRRRRKED!!!!!!!!!!!

@F150Audio : I don't know where you live, I don't know who you are, but I will find you, and I will buy you the finest dining of your selection for the assist on this. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! It is so amazing to start my truck and just see the last station I had been listening to on the screen already! You ARE the MVP for 2021 in my book!

Oh and @ Pioneer if you ever see this.... EFF YOU from a LOOONG Standing customer for using such a piece of $#!T in such a high dollar radio. I gave $6 for a PNY SD Card RETAIL COST. You KNOW you can get good cards for PENNIES. You'll be lucky if you ever see another dollar of my money again.

Hi everyone,

I did what F150Audio did, but when i ran WindiskImager to shows that it is working . then completes but then creates all these other unformatted drives on the SD card. please help.

I finally found a solution on Youtube and another forum. The SD card inside the unit has gone bad. It is what holds the OS that the unit boots up from, and apparently it also saves the settings (or doesn't).

Watch this video on YouTube, and read the comments. It is an easy enough fix to do yourself, if you are semi handy. I did mine in couple of hours including removing the 4400 from my truck, disassembling the radio, replacing the SD card, and re-assembling and installing.

You'll need to buy a new SD card. I got a 16GB 120mb/sec card at Walmart for under $10.

Then you'll need to download SD Card Formatter to format the card from here: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/sd-memory-card-formatter-for-windows-download/

Next, download Win32DiskImager to move the image file (img) to the new SD Card from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

And then download the img file from this URL: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/82490-backups-and-images/page/8/

Hope you see this and it helps!

Cheers!

Thanks for the references and the instructions. The radio portion of my AVH-W4400NEX stopped working and I had hopes that this fix would also fix that. Unfortunately it didn't but it was worth trying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...