Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD Suddenly stops working, and just beeps? Help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chromatic

Senior VIP Member
B'ham, AL
Hey guys..

Some of you know my build. Well it's done, car is back together fully.

So I'm glad the back breaking work is done.

But.. as the title indicates -- My headunit died. It worked this afternoon.. I finally got it flushed up,.. yay! Then when I was done putting everything back together (trim and such).. I turned the key (literally 15mins after everything worked perfectly). -- And no lights whatsoever from this Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD Double Din, Touchscreen Headunit.

It just starts beeping,.. 2 beeps, a small pause, then 2 beeps (this goes on indefinitely until I turn the car off.)

I made a few posts about this elsewhere,.. but let's just say I did everything to check it out, every fuse in the car, literally,.. headunit fuse on back,.. checked all wiring,.. pressed reset button on headunit,.. disconnected battery for an hour,.. and on goes the list.

Only thing I can think of is when I was putting the "knee pad" trim pieces that go right next to the headunit.. I had to bang on them with some force,.. and that "Force" may have been enough to kill this Pioneer Head unit,.. otherwise there is no other reason it isn't working.

So unless you happen to know of this PRECISE issue with Pioneer headunits and some magical fix,.. I really need help deciding on a headunit to buy tomorrow at Bestbuy.

It must be BestBuy because I can do 18months interest free. If not, I wait 2 months or so until I can afford a $500+ headunit.. This way I can get one tomorrow and pay it off in 2 months, no damage done.

Here's a link to Double Din headunits from best buy (to make it easy for you guys) -- Look through these and help me decide.

The *Must haves* are 1) Touch Screen, 2) Double Din, 3) 4V Pre-outs, 4) Bluetooth built in, 5) 3 RCA Pre-outs,.. OR (as is more common now) 2 RCA pre-outs and what they call a "Sub out".. which is essentially just another set of RCA's for the sub. (I run three RCA cables, and this is a must. -- The bluetooth requirement is just because I've always wanted it, and have never had it in a car in my life.. so it'd make this purchase not a "total" loss in a way.

My budget is $300-$550 (not set in stone)

Here's the link:

In-Dash with DVD : Best Buy | Double DIN Double DIN - Best Buy

Scan through all those.. and help me find the best headunit from that selection,. if you want to take it a step further,.. I need to find one that's IN store.. so my zipcode is 35242 to check. Otherwise, I realize most of you won't want to spend a few minutes looking much less see if it's in my store(s) here.

But, if you feel like helping me pick one out, I'd really appreciate it

In-Dash with DVD : Best Buy | Double DIN Double DIN - Best Buy

-- Again, I'll be buying it tomorrow afternoon at BestBuy.

(No I'm not a fan of them.. it's just about having my "system" I just spent 40 Hours busting my a.ss on work now.. if I wait till I have the free cash on hand.. It'l be about 2 months before I'll be able to fire this system back up. With no interest, I don't see a huge problem buying from bestbuy.. Surprisingly they have a fairly good selection of headunits.)

I truly appreciate any help.

with the unit power'd up press in the reset button and hold it until it makes a winding noise..... if that doesn't fix it. I would seriously double check your wiring behind the unit. (not saying it's wrong, just something may have come undone behind the screen when you slid it in

with the unit power'd up press in the reset button and hold it until it makes a winding noise..... if that doesn't fix it. I would seriously double check your wiring behind the unit. (not saying it's wrong, just something may have come undone behind the screen when you slid it in
Yeah.. I did hole the reset button many times. It never made a winding noise though? This thing doesn't light up.. not even the buttons.

It does beep.. so it gets some sort of power, or it wouldn't be able to beep. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I did check the wiring thoroughly.. everything is tight. It worked well with the way it was wired just 15 minutes earlier before it died.. so all I can think of is the banging I did on the side kneepad trim piece(s) (that was sort of hard).. killed the unit. Only thing that makes sense .. since the wiring is solid.. it worked wired the way it is just fine with my new system.. and I checked all fuses in the car, and behind the headunit itself.

Plus I was going to add bluetooth to this pioneer (that's dead now) myself... The adapter is hard to find now cause it's a bit old now.. and I basically have to buy it used.. they run around $200.. So the new headunit is $335 with built in bluetooth.. and some piece of mind with Kenwood (I've had no problems with Kenwood products in my lifetime).

I have a 4100 for parts if interested the screen is bad and no RCA output. But other than that it works fine powers up turns on screen works just is like I said good for parts. And I have a local guy that can do the work as well

I'm gonna say short in the wiring or bad harness all together my hu used to do it.... its powering down and the beeps are to tell you to take your face plate..... and that was a bad harness.... and the harness was new on install.......

The 4100 has no removable face if I remember. I ran mine for 3 years. Had a issue with it. Bought the other one for parts got it fixed. Worked like new again. If your gonna replace the unit. I'd buy it for $50

headunits don't just stop working. don't buy a new one until you have removed and tested it. I bet it still works.

have you used adapter plugs? check the pins in them

my friend had the same exact problem with his kenwood headunit... he thought it was broken(bought it used from someone) when he would turn on the car the unit would blink its lights and make a sound but never turn on..... issue ended up being one of his butt connectors werent getting contact by crimping it in the wrong spot

The 4100 has no removable face if I remember. I ran mine for 3 years. Had a issue with it. Bought the other one for parts got it fixed. Worked like new again. If your gonna replace the unit. I'd buy it for $50
I bought a new one. The unit is dead.. had best buy hook it up to see if it was a wiring issue or not.. and it's just dead. Something inside must have gotten knocked around like I suspected. New headunit went in with existing wiring just fine.. powered up. It didn't power up till I put the antenna lead in though... I didn't think headunits needed the antenna lead in to power up these days,.. that's what the ground is for?

I got the Kenwood DDX 470,.. great unit!

But.. $50.. hrmm.. sounds fair. I have a CD in it,.. any ideas of how to get it out?

I'll sell you this Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD for $50 + shipping costs.. just send me a PM I guess.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

headunits don't just stop working. don't buy a new one until you have removed and tested it. I bet it still works.
have you used adapter plugs? check the pins in them
It's dead,.. and tested. New headunit fired right up.

jesus, what did you hit it with a sledge hammer lolglad ya systems going again
lol.. I probably hit the panels on the sides too hard after 30 minutes of them not going into place.. Plus there are plenty of stories in forums of the exact problem with this series of Pioneer HeadUnits dieing from hitting potholes, and similar hard "hits".

I'm glad it's going again as well.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif -- Sort of was a downer to put all that time and work into it to have it stop when I had the final panel put back in! Plus I have bluetooth going now,.. which I was going to do with the Pioneer headunit, but the adapter is $200 not including mic etc.. So This headunit was not far from just adding bluetooth to the pioneer. I like this HU better to be honest,.. but if the pioneer was a little more "robust" it was/is a great headunit. I certainly don't "dislike" the old head unit.. just had a bad experience/luck with it -- and I should have known better than to bang next to the headunit that hard anyways. My fault, I paid the price I suppose.

I threw a dehp5850mp at a brick wall (taped the face to the unit so it couldn't open) whilst playing a cd, skipped for about 5-10 seconds then kept working, was totally bunged out of shape but I was amazed that it kept going (reason I threw it was because it ate my favourite cd and wouldn't eject it)

I threw a dehp5850mp at a brick wall (taped the face to the unit so it couldn't open) whilst playing a cd, skipped for about 5-10 seconds then kept working, was totally bunged out of shape but I was amazed that it kept going (reason I threw it was because it ate my favourite cd and wouldn't eject it)
lol.. sheesh.

I just think the "touch screen" double din units that have a million functions in them these days are just more sensitive frankly.. and they should be .. they are just mini computers with good DAC, etc. The Pioneer's seem to be a little less "robust" than some other brands from the bit of reading I've done.. definitely a broad generalization though.

I don't think I'd ever have had to go buy a new headunit if my dumbarse wouldn't have banged on those panels essentially unnecessarily. No panel really needs to be hit with any large amount of force.. I was getting frustrated with some silly "knee pad" panels.. I knew it was a matter of figuring out how they "wedged" into place.. but after a while in a cramped up position your patience gets tested. I wasn't hitting them anger type force though.. just literally putting medium "banging" pressure on them in a hope it would magically get them into a better position.

Of course the winning solution was to use my brain and eyes a little more .. as is normally the case. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

dude... pioneer headunits are the most unreliable shits ever.... i hit a pothole and fried my soundboard while i was listening to music going 70 on the freeway. unit works 100 percent it just messed up the soundboard so have to get it warrantied

i have the avh x8500

I bought a new one. The unit is dead.. had best buy hook it up to see if it was a wiring issue or not.. and it's just dead. Something inside must have gotten knocked around like I suspected. New headunit went in with existing wiring just fine.. powered up. It didn't power up till I put the antenna lead in though... I didn't think headunits needed the antenna lead in to power up these days,.. that's what the ground is for?
I got the Kenwood DDX 470,.. great unit!

But.. $50.. hrmm.. sounds fair. I have a CD in it,.. any ideas of how to get it out?

I'll sell you this Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD for $50 + shipping costs.. just send me a PM I guess.

---------- Post added at 01:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

It's dead,.. and tested. New headunit fired right up.
I can get the cd out when it's fixed and send it back USPS flat rate box is $12

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.