Phoenix Gold Titanium Elites

Participant count
  • Participant list
They are about mediocre as far as super subs go, as far as I'm concerned. You certainly pay for some of the frills and gimicks (ie, blue LED on the cone...what does that increase in Mms do for response? Was it planned for?).

They are about mediocre as far as super subs go, as far as I'm concerned. You certainly pay for some of the frills and gimicks (ie, blue LED on the cone...what does that increase in Mms do for response? Was it planned for?).
Mms really isn't a significant issue on that driver. It doesn't really do anything amazing, manages right around 28-29mm xmax, totally parabolic Cms and BL (just a standard SGLC motor, and a spider with a parabolic Cms curve).

Just a standard SGLC driver, really. It's a good driver, but hardly worth the asking price...

As to the original poster, if you already have a Brahma, you'd be a fool to sell it and buy the PG, as you'll get a LOSS in performance, not a gain...

Mms really isn't a significant issue on that driver. It doesn't really do anything amazing, manages right around 28-29mm xmax, totally parabolic Cms and BL (just a standard SGLC motor, and a spider with a parabolic Cms curve).
Just a standard SGLC driver, really. It's a good driver, but hardly worth the asking price...

As to the original poster, if you already have a Brahma, you'd be a fool to sell it and buy the PG, as you'll get a LOSS in performance, not a gain...
Probably wouldn't sell the brahma for it, even if I got a good deal. Good info there though.. thanks.

I'm sorry, I really don't want to sound like a jerk but how much power would you need to feed this driver to exceed its 29mm XMAX? 10KW?

The ability of a driver to move air (which is what we all want our woofers to do, right) is cone area times XMAX.

I just think its a total waste to spend big bugs to get XMAX values that you will never be able to actually take advantage of.

Feel free to show me where I'm wrong. I'm always up for learning something new.

I'm sorry, I really don't want to sound like a jerk but how much power would you need to feed this driver to exceed its 29mm XMAX? 10KW?
The ability of a driver to move air (which is what we all want our woofers to do, right) is cone area times XMAX.

I just think its a total waste to spend big bugs to get XMAX values that you will never be able to actually take advantage of.

Feel free to show me where I'm wrong. I'm always up for learning something new.
Depends on enclosure size, type, etc. There's some nice dimpling issues with the (remenicent of the ID Max) surround on this driver(which is enormous, btw).

I'm not sure why you would want to exceed the linearity of the sub for anything save competition, though (surpassing Xmax).

I don't see why you would purchase a subwoofer just to reach it's Xmax. Most supersubs excel in sound quality, which is not correlated with how much air the cone can displace and subsequently move. Power is cheap nowdays anyways, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.