Phoenix Gold RX400.4 Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hello Every one

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any reviews or comments or advise on this Phoenix Gold RX400.4 amp. I can not find much reviews or comments on this amp. Anyone have any history with these amps. I have the option to purchase one from a famous amp designer (name redacted) who has my Boston Acoustic GT-475 in for repair. Said these amps where pretty good and decent amps and are better then the BA GT-475 amp. Has the amp almost new condition at a real good deal for me. Said i was thinking of purchasing one of the PG SX series amps that were designed from this designer but, was told that I did not maybe need the SX amp for everyday ride and when i asked about the RX400.4 amp because it was at a better cost i can afford, that is when i was told about the PG RX400.4 amp.

Let me know what you guys think. I don't want to wait to long to make this decision. I am thinking of making a decision by end of next week Friday because it is payday next Friday. if it is worth it then i will get the amp or if not stay with my BA amp when it is repaired.

I totally respect this designers opinion on amp quality

Stephgirl

Hello again

Well an update on the Phoenix Gold RX 400.4. Week and a half ago the amp designer told me he had a AD Design 400.4 amp for me if i wanted and got a smoking deal so i took it. Got it on Thursday. I noticed it looked a little different then what is shown on the current amps on AD web site. Told the designer that it was missing some lights for the APAC system. I commented that it looked like it could of been a demo or an early model. But I was originally told that the AD 400.4 was working perfect and like new condition. And it does look good. So yesterday on Friday, my Boston Acoustic GT-475 amp in for repair, i was told is in bad shape needs a lot of work. The designer offered me in the place of the BA GT-475 a pair of the Phoenix Gold RX 400.4 amps. One for the 4 channel components speakers and one for the pair 2 channel woofers, AT NO COST TO ME. WOW good deal or not. I think good deal. I am not so surprised at the GT-475 needing a lot of work.

Story is my original GTA-470 4 ch was getting hot in a short time at fairly med to high volume, Maybe has something to do because under passenger seat is Cat converter and make thing warmer. Also i think it may also be do to the CDT component speakers i originally installed few years back when i got the deal from rep here on Car Audio.com. I did not know this but they make a 2 ohm speakers components and i thought all speakers were 4 ohm these days. So i think i may of been sold 2 ohm speakers. From what i researched this GTA-470 should not over heat and shut down with normal 4 ohm speakers. As you know 2 ohm speakers are far and few between. But also as you know the 2 ohm will increase power and heat. And that is why these two issues i have an heat problem and GTA-470 shuts down. Well few months back i found someone on Ebay selling the GT-475 with built in fan. GTA-470 has no fan. So guy wanted $199 and it did not sell so he relisted for $219. What!! wrong way if it is not selling. lower price not higher. So i emailed him and asked about the amp and he said it was functional and it was a 7 or of 10 and i offered $150 and promised to buy if he sold for $150. He agreed and then he changed the price and i purchased it. But i did not notice that when he changed the price to $150 so i could buy it he also changed the listing to say used or not working no refund. Sure enough it was not working when i received it. Fuse part on top was damaged and part of plastic melted. Fuse screw was striped. and the fuse post just rotated around in circuit board. Sent it to ZED for repair and got it back and then when i went to install it and fire it up for first time. 1/2 second later blow and also blow my rear CDT speaker. something happened. Seeing this amp when i got it with fuse part plastic melted. I think this amp had a major blow up and the guy on ebay sold it as is thinking it worked when it did not. He did not have it tested and said it was functional. Filed EBAY claim and the guy sent me $75 back. Now i'm out $75. this GT-475 had some issues that for sure. Now i'm told it has major issues to repair so was offered the 2 Phoenix Gold RX 400.4

I have been seating on 2 sets of Polk Audio component speakers about 9 months 1. MM6501 6.5 components 2. MM5251 5.25 components front and back. Got good deal direct from Polk Audio ebay store for both sets. So now i have to change out the CDT and install the Polk speakers and then the new Phoenix Gold 400.4 amps. I also have a pair of old school kicker 8" substations tubes from back in the day ( remember them? there awesome) look almost new. I take care of them. But few years back i retired the old kicker subs that were getting old with new Polk Audio DB 8". The tech guys at Polk said they will work great in that tube space, and it sounds great. Now I'm thinking of replacing the Polk DB 8" with the new MM842 to handle the new power. When i bridge the PG 400.4 amp to 2 channel it is rated to about 220 rms per 2 channel

Have not decided yet on what i am going to do with the AD Design 400.4 The APEC system i read about sounds great and will not clip the amp. I may install it and see how it sounds. I asked designer if he had a second AD 400.4 to match the other one, NO he said.

Has the PG 400.4 he said.

Oh and all this is going into a Toyota Tacoma X-Cab truck. So i don't need massive amount of power to fill the small cab area with load sound and i want to also hear at age 70

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.