Peerless Exclusive 7" vs Rainbow SLC w165

Sorry to hi jack but Im after the same thing, except I can only fit a 6.5'' driver. What should I get? I also only have limited power so are there any 4 ohm drivers that are 6.5'' I should be looking at. I want some thing that upgrades my mbq and is in the league of germs and boston pro 60.

Ok.... so i can take an Orion 4004, run it bridged to get 200x2@4ohm, then feed 1 to each Peerless and it would sort it out.
So... is 200watts@4 ok? Since it will be getting less?
if you go down to 4ohms wouldn't you sacrifice the potential quality of sound?

You will simply need to run an amp that has more power for the peerless, since generally you see a huge powerloss from 8-4ohms. I would grab something around 200 per channel.
Boo, not correct at all. Perhaps you should take into account other factors than just the overall power output from the amp. While indeed the amp will put out less power at 8 ohms than 4 ohms it doesn't at all mean that the volume will be lower.

IMO I'd take the Peerless over the Rainbow anyday. Not even close.

Boo, not correct at all. Perhaps you should take into account other factors than just the overall power output from the amp. While indeed the amp will put out less power at 8 ohms than 4 ohms it doesn't at all mean that the volume will be lower.
IMO I'd take the Peerless over the Rainbow anyday. Not even close.
I never said the volume would be lower, but having more headroom is always better, and since he will be seing quite a power dropoff at 8 ohms, why not run 200 per channel.

I never said the volume would be lower, but having more headroom is always better, and since he will be seing quite a power dropoff at 8 ohms, why not run 200 per channel.
Sorry for OT, but would this power dropoff be more than the dropoff from 4-ohms to 2-ohms?

I'm asking because manufacturer's seem to be in the habit of rating their amps as if they handle lower loads perfectly. For example my alpine is rated 150@2, 75@4. But it was birthed over 100@4.

It would seem to me that the dropoff from 4 to 8 ohms would be 1/3, not the 1/2 ohms law would dictate. So instead of getting alpine's likely rating 37.5@8, you'd end up with 66@8.

Make sense? I've heard the anti-8ohm thing a lot, and I want to get to the bottom of it.

How is the headroom any different.

Speaker A is 4 ohm and 87db efficient

Speaker B is 8 ohm and 90db efficient

Both run off an amplifier that puts out 100w@4ohm and 50w@8ohm. At any listening level the headroom will be equal in both cases, but the amp will be running cooler at 8ohms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Omarvelous

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
Omarvelous
Queens, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date