paying for a name?

i hear all kinds of jazz about jl and their awesome w lines. In my town alpine is the only company anyone has. and there is a lot of companies that have been around for years so everybody knows them and compliments their products, which i think it would be sick to pop your hatch and introduce your 2 13.5 w7s and feel BAD-A but i don't have 2500 dollars for subs i'm 17 in high school possibly considering senior project possibility and future ideas. for now what is the best company for value? i have a power bass 10" for 180 bucks its their truck line pre-loaded sub...for a single 10 on an under powered amp i was extremely impressed... so any advice is greatly appreciated! i don't wanna pay 700 dollars for a sub i could get the equivalent for 300...

I

You can def get a very good sub for less money.

Not sure of the brands as I have only run JL subs for the last 10 years so someone else will give you some brands to look at.

im personally unexperienced with these brands but around here(on this forum) they love these brands for subs. sundown audio,obsidian,DC,Digital Designs,skar, sound solution audio, most of which seem pretty affordable and most are said to be under rated.

Paying for a name can be both good and bad. I know it is something we cannot do with our pricing (SSA). But it seems a few of the non-mega brands have done it less and less.

icon 12's from ssa are $254 and those are just above their entry sub? alpine type-r's are 199 a piece in the store which ones would sound better?
I will not inject my bias, but I will say those two drivers are designed with different goals in mind, and one is made here in the US. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The icons are not entry level...the Dcons are and I would take one over a type r any day.....will sound better and could get just as loud

The icon how ever is more comparable to a type x.....now I would take the icon all day any day over any sub 300$ and down

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

I will not inject my bias, but I will say those two drivers are designed with different goals in mind, and one is made here in the US. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Ill inject mine for u

a pair of icons would be killer. but if you want to keep the build on a budget then pick up a pair of dcon 12s and an aq750. you wont have to worry about electrical upgrades and it will still perform very well. especially since it sounds like there is a lot of crap around your area.

the car i want to put it in doesnt even have a deck yet. so i am here for harsh criticism and wisdom because i have never heard a type r or an icon in person. like i said my sub was only 180 and its a ten.....I have no idea...destroy my hope and dreams please. i listen to some rap but mostly electronic....hardstyle, dubstep, house, so i want something with punchy lows.

since i dont know you ill say this...i make between 180-200 a week im 17 and live with parents have to pay for insurance and gas. i am not going to purchase said-subs soon i am just searching for information and knowledge
Well since I do not know you either.I would think that deck is OK. Heard good things about the SSA subs.There are other affordable subs out there like the Sundown SA series,or the AudioQ company has a line of subs that line that are cheap as well.Almost forgot about the new Obsidian subs.Those 3 are in your price range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.