parametric equalizer

Parametric vs. Graphic Equalizers

A graphic equalizer has usually fixed frequency and Q value. The layout of a graphic equalizer is the typical sliding controls arranged by frequency. The advantage of a graphic equalizer is that in the way it is laid out, it is easy to see what frequency is being boosted or cut and any person without much experience can adjust it. Since a graphic EQ has fixed frequencies and Q, it has limitations on what it can control. A parametric equalizer consists of knobs that are turned to desired levels, have adjustable frequencies and (usually) Q. The advantage of parametric equalizers is a much greater control, since frequencies and Q values can be adjusted. On the other hand, a parametric equalizer is much harder to adjust than a graphic EQ, requiring an experienced person and measuring equipment.

google is ur friend

Like my Cd7000 has a 7band PEQ, under each band I can choose 3 different frequencies to change, so tecnically I can choose 7 of 21 different frequenices to change. I dont know how excally I can explain it to u.

I have a 5 band peq on my alpine. The way I set mine up is I listened to a few cds, figured out what sounds too loud or too harsh, and then used this site to pick and adjust specific frequencies.

Basically as far as I understand, you pick a frequency on one of the bands, and turn it up or down. You can also adjust how much it affects neighboring frequencies by adjusting the Q. I could be wrong though.

Ok so you do or don't understand how a graphic works? My best thought on how to explain is if you know how a passive x over works and the difrence between say a 6db and a 24db slope x over. With a graphic your just adjustin how far down and up you want to adjust a priticular frequency with say a set 24db slope with the paremetric you get t o adjust what fz you want the eq to adjust rather than it just being set and you can adjust the slope from a steeper slope like a 24db slope so it adjusts a min. amout of fzs or you can adjust it to a more gradual slope like a 6db slope that will adjust more fqs. in all honestly if your a hard core audiophile there is nothing better than just being able to adjust the interior of the car to change the peaks and valleys of the fz's in the care do to the reflections and standing waves caused by the size of the car. If you can't do so then it goes to needing both a graphic and a paremetric. A graphic is good for slight adjustments to change the sound to your ear where a paremetric can help cut out high peaks and valleys that are in the car. This is what I have more or less figured out though I am sure some people will not agree.

I have a 5 band peq on my alpine. The way I set mine up is I listened to a few cds, figured out what sounds too loud or too harsh, and then used this site to pick and adjust specific frequencies. Basically as far as I understand, you pick a frequency on one of the bands, and turn it up or down. You can also adjust how much it affects neighboring frequencies by adjusting the Q. I could be wrong though.
No your sir are correct.

i like the graphic eq's on pioneer decks, but this is my first alpine deck and it has a 4 band parametric eq. like for instance, in the treble i can pick between 7.5, 10, 12.5, and 15. now lets say i pick 7.5, and i make it 'wide' like it says in the alpine manual, what exactly does it do?

I used to have a ALPINE 11 band EQ or something like that. Switched to a audiocontrol eqx and it blew it away. Running the deck EQ is no different than running the decks amp power. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

.::DuD3::.

10+ year member
EE in training
.::DuD3::.
Chesafreak, Va
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date