Panasonic MXE CQ-C9800U??

xSomeguyx
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SCS, Mi
So a friend of mine was looking into some new components for his '01 GMC Sierra Ext cab. He was going to power them off a stock head unit, but after I explained that they'd be severely underpowered, we started looking into new head units, and probably amps for the components. Then, I found the Panasonic MXE CQ-C9800U. 4x60w RMS?!?! I know that this Tripath amp stuff is supposed to be really efficient, but come on, can they really mush that big of an amp into that small of a package? Has anyone used one yet, and how does it sound? For the cost of a good amp and a head unit, I don't think the cost is too shabby, but I want to make sure the thing is good before recomending it!

They are no joke. Very crisp, and clear signal. Im gettin one for sure. The Alpine V-power put out 26rms i think and needed a sperate cable attatched to battery. These are off the hhok very loud, can mess up some stock speakers for sure. When i saw this unit at the store the guy turned it up and kept turning it and it just kept gettin way way louder. Very clear sound.

I'm not so sure that it can't do it. I did some further research in to the 'Tripath' amplification, and they claim it to be some sort of digital amp, but that's quite impossible (at least not at those kinds of gains). I believe I read somewhere though, that they step up the voltage quite a bit in the amp itself.

I had the 9700, it was AMAZING the sq from it and it does have the power in it as well. Really turned my car around after I threw it in. They also have like a digital antena. I got great recieption from it. It really is a great h/u. Even have cool graffics if you dont mind the blue. Nice chrome/mirror look. Just too much blue for me.

I'm not so sure that it can't do it. I did some further research in to the 'Tripath' amplification, and they claim it to be some sort of digital amp, but that's quite impossible (at least not at those kinds of gains). I believe I read somewhere though, that they step up the voltage quite a bit in the amp itself.
Then it has a built in DC/DC converter, which converts the 12volt DC coming in into AC at a higher voltage, and back to DC while keeping this higher voltage. It's why some higher hend amps will have no performance differences running at 14.4 volts or 9 volts.

Dont mean to bump this thread off topic, but does anyone have the CQ-C9800U? I got mine a few weeks ago, and noticed that the 'Source' button on the far left hand side (on the left of the volume knob) is a different shade of blue, than the other blue buttons. Has anyone noticed this, or is it just me?? I tried calling Panasonic, but they told me that that's normal, and I asked them how they knew, and they just said, its in their service manual. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif anyway, just wondering if anyone else noticed this problem.

Ok, cool, thanks for everyone's input!
I have had the CQ-C9800U for about 2 weeks now.... its a pretty nice head unit.

Pros - Looks real nice, and has great sound quality, really customizable.

Cons - The 'Source' button is a different shade of blue than the other blue buttons on the face. Also, the remote control doesnt have the the greatest range. I'd say, maximum is 2 feet, maybe 3 on a good day. Also, its pretty expensive.

Ive got a set of Polk components, as well as some 6x9's, on the way. I'll probably have them installed next week. I'll post feedback later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

xSomeguyx

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
xSomeguyx
SCS, Mi
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date