painting fiberglass

Sand and or grind out all the bumps you can before you hit it with the body filler. Spread body filler to fill the imperfections as thin as possible. Sand the filler smooth. You may need to repeat this a couple of times to fill pin holes and such. Once you have everything smooth as a babies butt, then start the priming. One layer at a time, wet sand with 500-800 grit between coats. THen get to painting. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

alright thanx, with the primer how many layers should i put on and after painting do u put a clear coat on as well to get that nice shiny look

You need enough thickness of primer so that it doesn't sand through to the base material. How many coats that takes depends on the material you use. Three good wet coats is usually good.

Remember that paint doesn't fill any imperfections or scratches, so whatever the surface is like on the primer after sanding is what the final job will look like.

Using clear coat gives you the option of taking the job a bit further by wet sanding the clear and buffing the final finish for the ultimate shine. Just like painting a car.

If you're using spray cans, get laquer. It dries fast and sands well. Always use the same brand and paint type for all 3 (primer, color, clear). I think Krylon is as good as any.

If you're gonna spray with your own gun, use urethane and buy the paint from an auto paint store. There's a cheap sprayer made by PreVal that any auto parts store sells that works really well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.