overpowered components

s2groove
10+ year member

who has a setup like me where they have more power to their components than what the manufacturer says they can handle? i got some dynaudio's that have 150 watts goin to each that the manufacturer says can only handle 100. My car sounds great now but would i have to worry about reliability anytime soon? who has their components like this and for how long w/o problems?

As long as you keep the gains down on the amp you shouldn't have to worry about it. BUT, 50 watts over seems like quite a bit. I guess it would depend on the amp and weather it's underrated, and by how much.

hah, i got 300watts going to EACH side of my HEX components, so far, i dont think there is a problem, but i have my gains down really low. just be careful with the gains the volume knob.

so far with what i have run into is that the tweeter blows faster or just blows.. I used to have a set of components that i overpowered and I lost a couple of tweeters and most of the time when i turned it up and they started to sound good the tweeter would cut out, overheat, you know that tweeter protect feture on components, untill i truned it down and they would come back on and all would be fine. I would want them to be over powered than they be under powered any day.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.