Over Current?

Participant count
  • Participant list
i've ran 3 different 1 ohm speakers off of it over the years. It did it once with my old L7 but i didn't think anything about it because it started working again after i turned the amp off for a little while. I just bought a Q 12 D2 and wired it to 1 ohm. It seems to only do it when the sub is beating pretty hard.

The louder your volume level the more current is pulled. If your ground is insufficient the expelled current has no where to go.

"An overcurrent protection device protects the circuit by opening the device when the current reaches a value that will cause an excessive or dangerous temperature rise in conductors.

Most overcurrent protection devices respond to both, short-circuit or ground-fault current values as well as overload conditions."

ive got 4 gauge ground and 4 gauge power. I thought the ground was supposed to be equal to or bigger than the power. I guess i could find a better place to ground it.

get a Digital multimeter, choose the OHM selection, put one probe on your amp's ground (make sure it's on metal for a good connection), place the other probe on your ground point. The number should be less than 1, the higher the number the worse the ground.

ok i will. Maybe this will help but like i said it has happened before and i ran my 15 L7 all the time at high volumes and it happened only one time. I turned the amp off on the head unit and then ten minutes later i turned it back on and it worked fine. Hasn't happened since. When i was putting my new box and sub in tonight my ground wire did come out and i put it back in so maybe it really is the ground. Ill go make sure all the connections are solid as well as the wire and check back.

1,000 watts is thrown around loosley around here so let me see if i can help.

1,000 watts= 1.32 HP, 44,240 ft-lb/min, 56.9 btu/min.

Long story short, upgrade to 2 or 0 gauge wire and the problem will go away. Your amp at high volume is basicaly choking trying to pull current through the cable. Bigger wire equals less resistance (heat).

The overcurrent light signals that the output stage of the amp is attempting to pass more current than it safely can. This is usually an indication of either a load below what the amp is stable to or severe clipping exceeding the duty cycle of the output devices. In no case is it a problem with the ground. A problem with the ground will usually manifest itself as an undervoltage protection warning.

you're right helotaxi, i read his post about the L7's and assumed it was his ground.

Over voltage Protection – More important in linears, where failure of a pass transistor could easily put excess voltage on IC’s. With switchers, most failures cause no output at all.

I barely have my gain turned up at all from the lowest position (6v). The amp is 1 ohm stable and the sub is wired to 1 ohm. I ran it all day today and the light didn't come on. If it begins to come on frequently i'll address it again. Thanks for the help.

The amp only goes to over current when i play 1 specific song. I just realized that today. Perhaps the song is going so low it makes the ohm load go below 1?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.