optima red top up front xs s3400 in back?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Right now I a running a rockford t1000-1bdcp and rockford prime r400-4...I have an xs power s3400 under the hood big 3 done in 0 gauge. I've been emailing mike singer abouter a 220 amp alt for my 2003 svt focus. He said it does 220 amps by 1600 rpm and about 140 at idle. I eventually plan to switch my amps to a rockford t1500-1bdcp and a rockford t400-4 which combined have an average current draw of 130 amps. I want to run a second battery...I already have an optima red top I am not using at home. Could I use this under the hood and move my xs power s3400 to the rear? It is rated at 4000 watts when used as a secondary battery. Would this be enough to power these two amps? My original plan was to get another xs power for the back and leave the s3400 under the hood but could I use the redtop under the hood and move it to the back and be sufficient? This would obviously cut on cost since I already have the redtop. I read somewhere its not good to mix batteries like that but I don't know how true this is. Any help is appreciated thanks

Hey blkvnm,

Just to give you an example that might be kinda similar to yours, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 200 amp Alt, Big 3 in 0/1ga, and a XS 3400 under the hood.

At one point I was running a RF Prime 600-4 ( 150 x 4 ), an RF Punch 500-4 ( 250 x 2, 125 x 2 ) , and an RF 801S ( bridged at almost 1300watts ) .................with no dimming, voltage drop, etc. Thats probably similar in configuration and amp load to your setup.

Now, I couldn't play for hours and hours with my car turned completely off, but if you're not planning on doing that, they I wouldn't even think you need the extra battery.

Hey blkvnm,
Just to give you an example that might be kinda similar to yours, I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 200 amp Alt, Big 3 in 0/1ga, and a XS 3400 under the hood.

At one point I was running a RF Prime 600-4 ( 150 x 4 ), an RF Punch 500-4 ( 250 x 2, 125 x 2 ) , and an RF 801S ( bridged at almost 1300watts ) .................with no dimming, voltage drop, etc. Thats probably similar in configuration and amp load to your setup.

Now, I couldn't play for hours and hours with my car turned completely off, but if you're not planning on doing that, they I wouldn't even think you need the extra battery.
thanks for the reply...that's some good info. Now that you've said that I will probably just throw the red top under the hood and the xs power outback. Although I might not absolutely need the second battery with a 220 amp alt I would like to have a little more than what is needed just to be on the safe side and although I don't necessarily listen to my music jamming for hours with the car not running...I would like to have the option to do so if I so choose. I have an xs power intellecharger and I keep my batter or batteries topped off on a fairly regular basis. Based on what you have told me I believe this idea to be a good one, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.