Opinion on DSMs?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Astyl
10+ year member

Car Audio Enthusiast
Bedford, NH
Alright so heres the deal, ive recently found a good deal on one of these puppies and am looking to get general feedback about them.

Inparticular its a 1998 Eagle Talon TSI, AWD / Turbo 5 Speed

I realize that EVERY car has its quirks, my friends a mechanic so im sure we can handle any issues that might arise, im just looking what you guys think about them? Ive heard that they handle like there on rails ( Almost EVO'esque ) and have Extreme Potential to make fast without breaking the bank

General Opinions , etc? I already know about the Crank Walk Issue and my friends a Mechanic that works at a New Car Dealership so its not like im some punk off the streets that cant even change a trunk light, im sure if any issues come up they can be dealt with, just looking to get some feedback on these babies, this one in particular looks to be well maintained, new timing belt ETC, it has 160K

love them. i've had about 7. never once been left on the side of the road by one. as with any old car, if you plan on modding it, things are going to break, they're old.

just maintain it, get everything up to par before you start modding and it will treat you well.

once you are assured that everything is solid, get a 3" downpipe, no cat, 3" exhaust after that, then a mbc, 255 fuel pump, boost guage, data logger, air filter. put all that on, set the boost to about 16psi and have fun.

after that, you'll realize the stock t25 turbo ***** and you'll want to go larger. turbo s for those are cheap now, so you'll have tons of choices, just depends on what you want out of it.

after that you'll need a fmic as the larger turbo will heat soak the tiny stock ic in 1 pull on a warm day.

any other questions, let me know, iv'e had them apart in every way.

2nd gens engines were built here, main problem , ill leave it at that.... if your swapping for the 6 bolt main jdm or 1st gen motor go for it.....

while crankwalk is a concern, they don't all get it. in fact, everyone i actually know personally with a 2g does not have crankwalk, and they all have almost 100k on their cars.

in the end, what's the big deal, if it walks, swap it and swap all the performance parts over to the new 6 bolt. until then, mod it, drive it, enjoy it.

2252332_18_full.jpg

2252332_20_full.jpg

that was mine.. i was able to spin all 4 threw 2nd pretty easy

suspension, full 3" apexi exhaust, cams, tuned 20 psi, tube manifold, fast spooling turbo.. had no turbo lag at all, but didn't pull at high rpms.. was made to get going fast

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.