Operation Hot Sauce (beautiful 6th order wall)

Holy crap, that design is a work of art, this is next level stuff right here. Excellent job! Can't wait to see what that looks like when it's done and to know how it performs. And here I thought that I had some pretty complicated calculations on a t-line tapered horn hybrid....then Buck comes along with this lol

Half of me was like, please don't kill me after I send you this design. But he wanted it, if he didn't, he would've stopped me.
I genuinely enjoy making boxes. It's fun.
And that fun is what makes this hobby worth the insane money and time it costs. I just completed building a ported box designed by shredder2 for my truck with a Sundown SD3 10 in it. It’s not worthy compared to what you have, but still, it was fun building and listening to it today. Can’t wait to see how your box comes out. Wish I could hear what that will sound like too.

Holy crap, that design is a work of art, this is next level stuff right here. Excellent job! Can't wait to see what that looks like when it's done and to know how it performs. And here I thought that I had some pretty complicated calculations on a t-line tapered horn hybrid....then Buck comes along with this lol
That's something I've never learned is horns. I don't think they are hard, I just haven't experimented with them.

Most good box designing IMO comes from experience. I've designed boxes for customers when I used to install in about 5 minutes and then I'd build it and throw it in their car. Like when you've designed as many boxes as I have, you just get it. You pick up stuff. It just takes time.

Like I don't trust programs at all. All it is is sound. It's just controlling compressions and rarefactions cycling. Each woofer has a nature about it, which you can largely determine from the t/s.

Horns just aren't attractive to me. I've caught the attention of audio engineers with PHD's before, and even some of them love ported over everything, even for like $25,000 guitar speaker cabinets, etc. Really ported just is the most effective way to boost and hold sound, or a t-line, anything that simply phase shifts the rear wave. Horns get into weird dynamics.

They can be extremely efficient, but the size and and what all your limitations are with horns, they just seem rather useless.

All horn lines are are segments of air that each have their own resonance. What I've yet to explore is the relationship between expanding cross sectional area and the ratio of the expansion vs the effect it has on tuning when the port is tapered.

If I was going to do horns I would come up with my own method.

I think it's better generally to take the mind state of an enclosure that is healthy for the woofer vs. trying to perfectly match it with the enviroment. You want the woofer to love it's home, to be happy. That's, IMO, is what makes the best playing boxes.

Not like anybody is gonna take the time to do one right. We have an epidemic of lazy A S S box designers. I have one in mind in particular who should F U C K I N G know better. I'm always being asked to correct people's boxes when I get well because I couldn't design it when I was sick, so they go to someone else, and then I have to try and band-aid other people's designs.
I could build it.

Buck, I don't want to thread jack so I won't go into details. I have a little project going on and need an expert box designer. I designed my fair share back in the day (8 years ago) but I've forgotten more than I remember. I'm in a time crunch, so I'd rather pay someone to design it up right while I am still re-learning all this. Please PM me what your rates are to design a box and let's see what we can do!

Great looking design

You should get hornresp if you don’t have it

Only program I know of for horns or tlines

I had 2 sa8’s in a folder horn and simple 1.5cf ported they were very similar output but the horn was way smaller

The horn unloaded like crazy if it wasn’t facing a hard surface

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.