One SA-12 or two Kickers?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mynameismatt

My 120.9w just blew out, and I've been looking for an upgrade as it is. Should I buy a SA-12 and a new ported box for about $275ish, or go with a dual kicker box for anywhere between $220-$300? Only have 650watts at 2 ohms to work with and I'm looking for as much bass as possible. Haven't decided on which Kickers I'd go with, but it would be one of the manufactured boxes.

2 10" CompS for $220 (600w)

2 12" CompS for $300 (600w)

2 10" CompR for $300 (800w)

or

SA-12 DVC at 4 ohms for $210 (750w)

I currently have a sealed box that I can stick the SA in for the time being, but would probably wind up getting a ported box for it at some point, which would run me another $40 at least. What do you guys think? Suggestions, past experiences? Money isn't a huge deal here, but I dont want to spend over $350 unless it blows these out of the water. All help would be appreciated!

My 120.9w just blew out, and I've been looking for an upgrade as it is. Should I buy a SA-12 and a new ported box for about $275ish, or go with a dual kicker box for anywhere between $220-$300? Only have 650watts at 2 ohms to work with and I'm looking for as much bass as possible. Haven't decided on which Kickers I'd go with, but it would be one of the manufactured boxes.
2 10" CompS for $220 (600w)

2 12" CompS for $300 (600w)

2 10" CompR for $300 (800w)

or

SA-12 DVC at 4 ohms for $210 (750w)

I currently have a sealed box that I can stick the SA in for the time being, but would probably wind up getting a ported box for it at some point, which would run me another $40 at least. What do you guys think? Suggestions, past experiences? Money isn't a huge deal here, but I dont want to spend over $350 unless it blows these out of the water. All help would be appreciated!
a 40 dollar ported box is gonna sound like utter sh*T and not get loud at all. Its not the subs that get you loud. Its the enclosure design. A cheap 40 dollar premade box isnt gonna get anyone loud. You can have the worst flea market sub in a proper box get a lot louder than a 1000 dollar sub in a sh*tty prefab.

a 40 dollar ported box is gonna sound like utter sh*T and not get loud at all. Its not the subs that get you loud. Its the enclosure design. A cheap 40 dollar premade box isnt gonna get anyone loud. You can have the worst flea market sub in a proper box get a lot louder than a 1000 dollar sub in a sh*tty prefab.

Is there a difference in sound quality between ported and sealed when it comes to pre-fab? Because my Infinity 120.9w hit pretty well in a $50 box I got off of Sonic Electronix, and was planning on getting another from them in a ported version. I'm not looking to enter any competitions, just make my morning commutes and delivery shifts a little more enjoyable.

Having said that, do you think I might as well get the Kickers if I dont plan on getting a custom box?

Is there a difference in sound quality between ported and sealed when it comes to pre-fab? Because my Infinity 120.9w hit pretty well in a $50 box I got off of Sonic Electronix, and was planning on getting another from them in a ported version. I'm not looking to enter any competitions, just make my morning commutes and delivery shifts a little more enjoyable.
a prefab ported will sound like garbage. A properly designed and built ported will sound just as good as sealed (if not better) but have crazy amounts of output in comparison. Tell us the max dimensions you want to give up and we can suggest some decent sub configurations for your size.

You got any tools like a screw gun, jigsaw? Building your own box is very simple, have home depot make the cuts, take it home glue and screw then cut the hole. 40 bucks in material and you have a very very nice box that will slam.

a prefab ported will sound like garbage. A properly designed and built ported will sound just as good as sealed (if not better) but have crazy amounts of output in comparison. Tell us the max dimensions you want to give up and we can suggest some decent sub configurations for your size.
You got any tools like a screw gun, jigsaw? Building your own box is very simple, have home depot make the cuts, take it home glue and screw then cut the hole. 40 bucks in material and you have a very very nice box that will slam.
Glad I made this post before making a purchase lol. Unfortunately I don't have a jigsaw, but I do have a screw gun with a bunch of attachments and a buzzsaw.

Height - 15 inches

Length - about 30 inches

Depth - about 20 inches

While space isn't really an issue, my Volvo s60 isn't exactly an SUV. But thanks a bunch for the help!

Please don't support kicker as a company, lol

Get the Sundown E. Your sealed box would probably be ok for now, but in the future if you want more output, you should make a ported box

Please don't support kicker as a company, lol
Get the Sundown E. Your sealed box would probably be ok for now, but in the future if you want more output, you should make a ported box
In all honesty, what's wrong with Kicker? I know a lot of people bash them, and purposely stayed away from them when I bought my first sub... but never really understood the hate. It's not like they're worse than Boss

Glad I made this post before making a purchase lol. Unfortunately I don't have a jigsaw, but I do have a screw gun with a bunch of attachments and a buzzsaw.
Height - 15 inches

Length - about 30 inches

Depth - about 20 inches

While space isn't really an issue, my Volvo s60 isn't exactly an SUV. But thanks a bunch for the help!
you can do two cheaper 15s sealed or you can do two 12s ported with a round 6 inch pvc pipe as a port. Sundown E series, not SA but E series can do some good work.

However i'd say go with a single 15.

Ah, my bad. I still don't think my amp can handle them, though. I only have 650 watts at 2 ohms and cant go down to 1.
you get two D2 and wire in series and you get 2 ohms. Not that hard...

In all honesty, what's wrong with Kicker? I know a lot of people bash them, and purposely stayed away from them when I bought my first sub... but never really understood the hate. It's not like they're worse than Boss
I'd say new kicker stuff is on the same level as Boss.

Chinese todlers make them with Elme'rs glue ad popsicle sticks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

you can do two cheaper 15s sealed or you can do two 12s ported with a round 6 inch pvc pipe as a port. Sundown E series, not SA but E series can do some good work.
However i'd say go with a single 15.
What are the specs on the Sundown E's? I cant find much on them since they got discontinued... are they SVC 4ohms around 300-400 watts? Because if so, then they might be the winner.

And I'm not sure about 15s. Is it true that you sacrifice a little SQ with the wider cone area?

I'd say new kicker stuff is on the same level as Boss.
Chinese todlers make them with Elme'rs glue ad popsicle sticks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif
Really? Jeez. I've never actually heard a kicker before, but figured it was just that entry-level brand that everybody bashed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.