One higher quality 12" or two lower quality 10"?

AKCoastie
10+ year member

Hawaii
I couldn't find my answer by searching. I am building on my current setup and adding some bass. I get that, all things being equal, two 10s will be punchier and louder than a single 12. What I am wondering is if a better single 12, say Alpine Type R paired with a Lanzar DCT5001D 5000 Watt amp in a sealed box would sound better than a pair of JL Audio 10W0v3-4 10" subs paired to a decent two channel amp. Not looking to debate brands just curious what would be more bang for the buck. I am looking for punchier bass, hence wanting to used a sealed box. I am guessing a good 12 in a sealed box would give me the best all around sound. Not sure if it matters but running JL Audio speakers and amp in a Honda Accord. Listen to techno, reggae, and rap. Thanks ahead of time.

You really should be open to debating brands //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

That's like saying hey, you want this Geo or this Lambo? Nah, the Geo because I'm set on it.

I couldn't find my answer by searching. I am building on my current setup and adding some bass. I get that, all things being equal, two 10s will be punchier and louder than a single 12. What I am wondering is if a better single 12, say Alpine Type R paired with a Lanzar DCT5001D 5000 Watt amp in a sealed box would sound better than a pair of JL Audio 10W0v3-4 10" subs paired to a decent two channel amp. Not looking to debate brands just curious what would be more bang for the buck. I am looking for punchier bass, hence wanting to used a sealed box. I am guessing a good 12 in a sealed box would give me the best all around sound. Not sure if it matters but running JL Audio speakers and amp in a Honda Accord. Listen to techno, reggae, and rap. Thanks ahead of time.
i made the mistake of buying 2 12 w3's THEN i joined this forum and well WAYYYY better could have been had for the money, don't be quick to spend your money.

i made the mistake of buying 2 12 w3's THEN i joined this forum and well WAYYYY better could have been had for the money, don't be quick to spend your money.
+1

@OP: Look at Sundown Audio and AudioQue. Both awesome brands. A really nice 12" from Sundown will run you about $200. Better than a type r, and it can take more power (even though it's rating is 600rms, it could probably take 1000+). I just wish I had known of these smaller companies when I started. Amazing bang for you buck (literally).

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. Fair enough, I am open to whatever. Budget is about $500 max. Space is limited, mainly because I stuff my surfboard in the trunk and I would like to be able to lay down my box to be able to fit the board rather than take it out, i.e. truck style box. I can either run a box about 32"l x 15"h x 9"w or 36"l x 17"h x 9"w depending on where the box sits.

So spent the last hour researching and I keep coming back to the Sundown Audio SA12. It looks like I can get a open box B-stock for $160 which is what I was gonna pay for the Type R anyway. If I am reading the website correct, 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure will work well with this? Any recommendations for an affordable amp to push one 12?

GOOD ADVICE!

a single IA Flatlyne12 would be MORE then enough for your entire build from what it sounds like

$500ish. Less is always better though. After looking at a bunch of videos on YouTube, I think I am going to go for a single SA-10. From the dbs and window shaking I've seen, I think one 10 will give me plenty of bass. Then I can always add another if I need to.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.