One amp to rule it all...which one though?

bumpin_blazer
5,000+ posts

Only the Strong Survive
Austin,TX
So I am stuck between two amps for my system. I am getting rid of the eclipse as something is seriously wrong with the amp because it keeps going into protect after about 20 minutes. I've installed it in 2 other vehicles with systems that work fine and it had the same problem in all 3 so the amp is going back to eclipse for repair and i'm impatient. I've been looking at a 4 channel amp that can do the job of power my comps properly and powering the sub. It's simple, easy and if done right can look/sound quite good. I'm stuck between two amps so I am wondering what you guys would suggest as I have no experience with either of the brands/amps.

Amp 1) DDS4, BNIB for $425 shipped. From what I've read it's an amazingly solid amp and does 100x2@4ohm and 200x2@4ohm front/rear. The rear channels are supposed to be able to take a 2ohm bridged load and give around 600watts from what I have been told which is a perfect amount of power for the MB Quart sub I'm running.

Amp 2) Alphasonik Alphasonic PMA-640HCA for 225 shipped. The power on this one is definetely there I'm just wondering if it might be a hair too much for my comps and sub. The sub is rated at 500wrms and the comps are at 125wrms. The amp is rated at 160@4ohm for the comps and the sub would get 825wrms according to what I read on the listing.

My question is which amp do you think would a) be the better all around choice both for power and $ and b) would i be in risk of blowing the sub/comps with the Alphasonik amp?

I keep hearing that I shouldn't port the sub, is this from people who don't know their stuff? I myself have never dealt with it but someone tried to tell me it wasn't designed to be ported?

Found a good deal on a RF T8004 I can pick up for pretty cheap. So lets re-phrase this, RF T8004 or the DDs4. Between these two which would power the setup best.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.