One 4" coil 12, or two 3" coil 12's?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
I'm deciding what to do on my next build. Amp would either be a Banda Viking 7000 or Taramps HD 8000. (which ever comes in stock first!)

I can either buy a 4" coil 12, or use the DD 9512h's that I have sitting around.

For a 4" coil sub, I was thinking the Sundown Team series.

If I used the subs I already have, I would run them really hard and demo a lot. After I blew them, I was going to get carbon fiber cones from DD and send them in to Sundown for re-cone with Zv4 motors.

I have 5 cubes of internal box volume maximum. Drivers will be inverted, and the port is external, so that is true internal volume.

With this amount of Space and power, what would be the better option? I don't think I can run two 4" coil subs. Other suggestions of subwoofers are welcome, but I want something with a really deap motor. I like excursion..

I know the two 3" coil subs will dissipate heat better than a single 4" coil

set you gains accordingly. no way in hell id have sundown recone a DD woofer. no offense to jacob or anyone but thats foolish.

honestly it sounds like you need to learn a thing or two about the field instead of just getting an *** load of power and slapping woofers in a box. the correct ported alignment it takes alot of power close to 6kw per woofer to reach 30mm of excursion.

the 9500s definitely don't have 30mm of linear throw id bet closer to about 22-25mm but even with4 kw they should be pretty linear for the most part.

if you want something that can be tuned lower then maybbe you want something with a longer coil but your going to loose a good deal of output above 40hz. one woofer i can recall that will mett your goals would be TC sounds.. the LMS is a BEAST...

TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer

set you gains accordingly. no way in hell id have sundown recone a DD woofer. no offense to jacob or anyone but thats foolish.honestly it sounds like you need to learn a thing or two about the field instead of just getting an *** load of power and slapping woofers in a box. the correct ported alignment it takes alot of power close to 6kw per woofer to reach 30mm of excursion.

the 9500s definitely don't have 30mm of linear throw id bet closer to about 22-25mm but even with4 kw they should be pretty linear for the most part.

if you want something that can be tuned lower then maybbe you want something with a longer coil but your going to loose a good deal of output above 40hz. one woofer i can recall that will mett your goals would be TC sounds.. the LMS is a BEAST...

TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer
My 9512s played between 149 and 150 from 27-50hz. They had more than enough throw. They where i models so they where totally different. 10 inch spider and larger.

sure you can get a pretty nice peak down low. but alot of the SPL drivers have low QE and higher FS figures that just aren't efficient down low. that single LMS 18 with aPR in 5 cubes can get down to 18hz and outdisplace and is more efficent than a pair of 9512s.. im not going to argue physics. and i dont know the parameters on the DD drivers because they usually dont go out their way to provide them and i question thier accuracy. i know the older drivers just didnt get very low but from what i hear the suspension have improved drastically.

sure you can get a pretty nice peak down low. but alot of the SPL drivers have low QE and higher FS figures that just aren't efficient down low. that single LMS 18 with aPR in 5 cubes can get down to 18hz and outdisplace and is more efficent than a pair of 9512s.. im not going to argue physics. and i dont know the parameters on the DD drivers because they usually dont go out their way to provide them and i question thier accuracy. i know the older drivers just didnt get very low but from what i hear the suspension have improved drastically.
I do not have the room for an 18..

A 12" basket is the largest I can fit. I already had the 9512's, so I plan to use them. I was going to get Z4 motors, and ask for the X-series soft spiders. That way, I have more excursion and it doesn't take too much power to get there. I have an X-10 and I know how that suspension feels.

The 9500s don't have a ton of xmax but they do have enough for most applications. They have a ton of drivers with more linear throw. If that's what your after they are out there. And putting a much softer spider will change the entire woofer. Esp with the 9500 coil. If you want a lower fs just tell dad durning the recone. They will build it to suit your alignment. They won't handle as much mechanically though so be warned..

F

The 9500s don't have a ton of xmax but they do have enough for most applications. They have a ton of drivers with more linear throw. If that's what your after they are out there. And putting a much softer spider will change the entire woofer. Esp with the 9500 coil. If you want a lower fs just tell dad durning the recone. They will build it to suit your alignment. They won't handle as much mechanically though so be warned..
You need to play with some new 95s. They have every bit of though the new sundown Zs do.

F
You need to play with some new 95s. They have every bit of though the new sundown Zs do.
The new 9500 motor is a lot deeper, but I don't think they look as good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I like the old claw basket too, even though the newer ones have a bigger spider landing

you should play with the patient pending I have that eliminates nearly all compliance based distortion amoung ANY driver in existence and nearly eliminates mechanical throw issues(everything has limitations) and has a variable dampening to adjust based on alignment and even frequency to increase transit response increase bandwidth and... awe never mind.

you should play with the patient pending I have that eliminates nearly all compliance based distortion amoung ANY driver in existence and nearly eliminates mechanical throw issues(everything has limitations) and has a variable dampening to adjust based on alignment and even frequency to increase transit response increase bandwidth and... awe never mind.
Enlighten me.

I have to leave for work in like 20 minutes

you see when its done. for some reason someone got me on their **** list. im going to jail over BOGUS charges and paid lawyers cant do **** about it.. y cuzin just got gunned down by the cops with no real reason and he was white.. I get followed around and its not the cops... im might killed a ***** or two before I can get back on production..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.