On Powered Subs...

Participant count
  • Participant list

noflers

Oregon
So I'm getting my system together slowly and I just got a 12" powered sub, component tweeters up front, and new 2-ways up front also. I'm wanting to keep the budget low as I plan on bigger bass in the future, the sub is somewhat temporary, but I've got nice components going in throughout the rest of the car.

I was presently surprised by the output of the powered sub (Rockford Fosgate p300-12). Everything sounds great, the factory speakers in the rear doors is all that's holding the system back now.

Does anyone have an opinion on adding a second peered sub? Same as the other?

I've got all new speakers and the 12" RF powered sub installed and I'm wanting to do two things now. 1) install the Sony stereo with 40W RMS and 2) add a second powered sub.

I know my system will benefit a ton from the extra power to the component speakers, but what can I expect from a second powered sub? Anything I should know before going ahead and getting one?

I know that might be the best option, but I'm wondering what I might expect from adding a second powered sub.
maybe a 3db gain, maybe less, maybe more. hard to say depending on the way they're oriented within your vehicle.

Well, they'll be in the very back of my Subaru wagon. Slanted to the top back edge of the roof. Only 3dBm?
you're in the land of diminishing returns, doubling power is roughly a 3db gain, and doubling your cone area is roughly a 3db gain. in the real world it doesnt work this way and you end up getting less than that. 3db is audibly louder, 10db is twice as loud.

a single 15 on a 1kw rms amp in a large ported box will absolutely blow your mind

if you can work with wood just build a ported box for less than $100, spend about $100 on an amp, and sell your current powered sub and use it to buy a 15 in the $150 price range. allocate maybe $50 for wiring for the amp. you'll be out of pocket maybe $250-$300, the second powered enclosure would cost almost that.

Not really into ports, but I can get another one of these subs for $140 and I'm just not sure how much of a difference there will be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.