Oldschool Orion HccA 12d sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

deez283
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Anybody ran these subs before? they are from 1999/2000

I have a single 12" dual 4 ohm I'm gonna try and was hoping to get some opinions on the best enclosure for the sub I'll be using a aero port but what should it be tuned to and airspace..

Looking to get loud but still sound good on music it's going in my daily driver..

Also I'll be shopping for an amp and ideas on what would go great with this sub for power?

Thanks.

!BmbTGpQBGk~%24(KGrHqEH-EUEtp+cHe)BBLfg7JBlc!~~_12.JPG

IIRC we put them in 2.75 at 33hz. You can go somewhat smaller, but that is what we did in a few demo cars with HCCA 12's. One of my favorite classic subs, we had matchin HCCA 225's on them at first then later moved to 275's.

IIRC we put them in 2.75 at 33hz. You can go somewhat smaller, but that is what we did in a few demo cars with HCCA 12's. One of my favorite classic subs, we had matchin HCCA 225's on them at first then later moved to 275's.
Cool, thanks.. I've ran older xtr's but never messed with the hcca's before..

Is the 2.75 before after sub displacement? sorry for the dumb questions just want to make sure I get the box right..

I looked on Orion's website but couldn't find any manuals etc..

Well I finally found a spec sheet... Is the 2.75 still sound right for this sub? Just want to make sure before I build the box..

Here's a scan of the spec sheet for it.. should I roll with denim's plan or try a box from the spec sheet?

Also would a 3" aero be3 enough or should I step up to a larger port? thanks for any help.

2-20-2010_001.jpg

Cool, thanks.. I've ran older xtr's but never messed with the hcca's before..
Is the 2.75 before after sub displacement? sorry for the dumb questions just want to make sure I get the box right..

I looked on Orion's website but couldn't find any manuals etc..
After IIRC. Bare with me as it has been over 10 years and my memory might not be as accurate as I think it is. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Yo, the stats you got says spl box volume is 2.5 cubes. So if peeps says 2.75 cubes then I would guess that the .25 is the displacment added to the 2.5cubes. Um Kay.... As far as tunning, that measurement may or mayNOT be including the port area. If it isn't then the box will be that much bigger. You should take it as 2.75 after displacment and design a box on RE Enclosure Calculator and make sure you get the right volume and port area. You can tune it more for your taste in music...

Yo, the stats you got says spl box volume is 2.5 cubes. So if peeps says 2.75 cubes then I would guess that the .25 is the displacment added to the 2.5cubes. Um Kay.... As far as tunning, that measurement may or mayNOT be including the port area. If it isn't then the box will be that much bigger. You should take it as 2.75 after displacment and design a box on RE Enclosure Calculator and make sure you get the right volume and port area. You can tune it more for your taste in music...

Yeah, I was just looking to see if anyone had actually ran them and what kinda results they got. Sometimes people go different than manufacture specs and have great results so I figured I'd see if anyone has had good luck with different enclosures..

I'll be using a Aero Port, right now I have a 3 inch but I'm wondering if I should step up to a 4" or even 6"??

I can determine the port lenght on PSP's website..

So far it looks like 2.75 at 33 Hz... the amp I'll be running is a oldschool Zapco Z300 competition with a matching Z150 on my front stage which is a set of PPI 6.5" comps.. Hopefully it sounds decent.

Figured there would be a ton more input people could share but I guess not..

I have an HCCA 15 from that era and its a beast! You should definitely use at least a 4...I would probably try to use 2 4's or better yet, a single 6"

I have an HCCA 15 from that era and its a beast! You should definitely use at least a 4...I would probably try to use 2 4's or better yet, a single 6"
Nice, I like the idea of a 6"

Did you go by the spec sheet or go bigger box? I'm hoping this things pounds I only have one right now but will get another if I can find one in good shape..

I almost never go by the spec sheet, but I did try it in 4.5ft3 at first and musically it was very good in the large box. For SPL purposes I gained a lot going to a smaller box (about 2.8ft3, unlike what the spec sheet says). I haven't used mine with any aeroports, just slot ports and my Octoports.

Z300 is a sweet amplifier. This is like a throw back install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.