Ohms?

ACE24

HELLO,

JUST HAVE A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT AMPS AND SUBS. I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT YOU DIDN'T WANT AN IMPEADANCE MISMATCH BETWEEN YOUR SUBS AND AMPS, YET SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE REPLIED SAYING TO GO DOWN TO 2 OHMS WITH A 4 OHM SUB, WHY? I UNDERSTAND YOU GET MORE WATTS (POWER), BUT THEN YOU HAVE THE MISMATCH OF IMPEADANCE. ANY INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED.

THANKS,

ACE24

This doesn't hold true in every case. But in general when the impedence is halved the power doubles. So for instance take the rockford Bd1000.1. It puts out 500w x 1 at 4ohm. When you drop the load to 2ohm it puts out 1000w x 1. Make it any easier to understand ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I hope so, if not I can try to explain a little further.

What you described isn't an impedence mismatch. What an impedence mismatch is, is when you are using to speakers of different impedence. Let's use subs as an example. You have a 4ohm sub and a 8ohm sub. No matter how you wire them by themselves. The subs will not get equal power. The 8ohm would get less power due to the higher resistance (impedence). Make any sense ?

OK, "I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW THE RAIN IS GONE." THANKS FOR YOU HELP. ONE MORE QUESTION. WOULD IT BE POSSIABLE TO RUN 1 SUB AND A PAIR OF 6X9 OFF OF ONE AMP?

THANKS

ACE24

YOU ROCK

the best you can do with the given equipment is wire each sub's VC in parallel (which would create a 3 ohm load) and wire the sub's to the amp in stereo mode. this would give the amp a 3 ohm stereo load. without knowing the watt ratings of the subs (and the amp's capabilities) i think you would be seriously underpowering the subs. if you do this just make sure you keep the gain setting on your amp down and listen to it at a moderate level for a while and check to see if it is overheating.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.