O.m.f.g.

Not perfect, but I'll let y'all be the judge of whether or not it was worth the $30....

imag0124tj.jpg

3 battery +/-'s, ftw.

imag0121ak.jpg

The other end.

imag0119l.jpg

Probably $30 worth of aluminum in the heat sink alone, lol...

imag0117kz.jpg

This is on the bottom. I read that this is only on a few of these, made during a limited amount of time. I'm not certain about that though.

edit_preview.php

Now to the prettiest pics...

imag0113n.jpg

Oh yeah....

imag0115so.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I'd love more info on this piece, if anyone has any. I just read the manual(online pdf). It says that all of their models, that aren't labeled as High Current, are only 2 ohm stable/channel. This amp doesn't have the HC label anywhere yet has a switch, for allowing one ohm use, built in... @SPLaudio ; @denim ; @Spooney ; @ampjunkielikeme ; anyone know what's up with this? It also says to fuse it @ 60 amps, and thats for 2 ohm use... I understand it does rated at 2 ohms with only .15% THD. Is that the reason for the low fusing? Does it make the big power this is famous for with a higher amount of THD? If I set it for 1%(should I do that anyways, lol?), what should I fuse it at?

I'm a bit of a newb to ol' skool gear. Oh yeah, It's being paired with this. :)

autotek881.jpg

autotek882.jpg

600 rms is probably a good guess but I wouldn't surprised to see a bit more. It has a fairly stout power supply for such a little amp. I have seen some 1k class d amps with a similar power supply in them but of course this won't be quite as efficient. The fuse rating on the zed amps isn't always a good measure of the amps true power. There used to be a good article on the Zed Audio site explaining their take on fusing. The way zed does it they offer a lot more protection for the amp while still fusing high enough to handle the in rushes of current you would see while actually listening to music(dynamics) . A lot of other manufacturers fuse for the maximum current draw of the amp which offers less protection. Remember that a fuse can handle much more than its amperage rating for short periods of time. The Zed Audio built US Acoustics USX800F came from the factory with only 60 amps of fusing but would put out over 1K. It was built a little tougher than this amp here though. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see 800 watts out of it.

As for the switch I imagine all it does is change the rail voltage in the amp to optimize it for either 1 ohm or 2 ohm loads. I doubt it offers more power. Just increased flexibility. You can change speakers/loads without needing to buy a new amp. Great pick up for what you paid even if you quadrupled it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

av83

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
av83
Midwest
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date