Noob with a head unit remote wire question

Participant count
  • Participant list

shellback
10+ year member

TX
First, please bare with me with my ignorance in car audio. I'm slowly getting it...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

Ok, local POS shop (weird - most employees were wearing odd electronic devices on their ankles) installed an aftermarket amp and speaker set up in my ride a few months ago.

...fast forward to present day....I was doing some tidying up in my car and noticed the blue wire connected to the amp (remote wire) was exposed in plain view and was trying to find out where it was connected up front.

When I traced the blue wire to the front, I somehow was under the impression the wire is supposed to connect to a specific wire behind the HU. Anyway, when the shop installed the amp, they soldered the blue wire to some unknown wire under the dash. I have no clue what it was soldered to. I figured, if it works, why mess with it...

I tried tucking the wire to keep it out of sight. Next, I reconnected the battery, and suddenly, smoke started coming from under the dash.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

I removed the blue wire and this it what it looks like:

DSCN0200.jpg

The blue wire was soldered to the mess of wires you see here. It was soldered to where you see the red tape:

DSCN0199.jpg

Once the smoke cleared, I checked the HU works and it does power up.

I have no idea if my amp works. Can I connect the amp remote wire to a new location. Of course, I still need to source some new (unburnt) remote wire.

Take it back and make them fix/replace it and do it right is what Id do.Tell them your car almost caught fire with your family on the way to the park,and the kids and yourself thought the car was going to burn up.Lucky to be alive!!!Thats some pretty choppy wiring up under there.You paid for an install, and it wasnt done right,and you want it done right,without the car catching FIRE!!,Or turn them in to the Chamber of Commerce for theft of services! I cant stand seeing people getting Ripped off!!

I agree with the above, I can only assume that you are keeping your factory HU and they attempted to connect into your ign wire...What kind of vehicle was it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.