Noob Installing Nav Head Unit - Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Joey Link
10+ year member

As partial payment, one of my clients gave me a Kenwood DDX7015 with the KNA-DV4100 Navigation unit, iPod adapter, and cd changer. I've replaced a few factory head units with aftermarket units, but I would say I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to car audio. Local shops around here are asking hundreds to install this stuff, and I really can't afford that, so I'm going to do it myself.

My current system consists of a Kenwood double din head unit, one RF amp pushing the front stage (rears are disconnected), and one RF amp powering the subs (two cheap Eclipse 12's @ 4 Ohm). I purchased the 4Runner with all this stuff except the subs. The previous owner took his subs out, but left everything else.

I have it in my mind this is going to be a pretty straight forward install, but I know from past experiences with other things that it's not too difficult to get in over ones head when they're doing something they're not familiar with. So, I have a few questions.

1. Connecting power and antenna is cake. I'm not sure how the speakers and sub are connected, but I would imagine via RCA (I've only ever used the wires)?

2. Hooking up the navigation unit, iPod cable, and CD changer are going to be a matter of running the cables and mounting the boxes, right?

3. Where do you normally mount the navigation unit? Is under one of the front seats OK or is there a better place? I should run the antenna wire up to the dash, right?

4. The navigation unit is missing the power connector that plugs into the back; where can I purchase a replacement?

5. Is there anything else you guys can think of that might assist me, or anything I need to be sure not to do?

Thanks guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

answer's under ur questions..

As partial payment, one of my clients gave me a Kenwood DDX7015 with the KNA-DV4100 Navigation unit, iPod adapter, and cd changer. I've replaced a few factory head units with aftermarket units, but I would say I'm still very inexperienced when it comes to car audio. Local shops around here are asking hundreds to install this stuff, and I really can't afford that, so I'm going to do it myself.
My current system consists of a Kenwood double din head unit, one RF amp pushing the front stage (rears are disconnected), and one RF amp powering the subs (two cheap Eclipse 12's @ 4 Ohm). I purchased the 4Runner with all this stuff except the subs. The previous owner took his subs out, but left everything else.

I have it in my mind this is going to be a pretty straight forward install, but I know from past experiences with other things that it's not too difficult to get in over ones head when they're doing something they're not familiar with. So, I have a few questions.

1. Connecting power and antenna is cake. I'm not sure how the speakers and sub are connected, but I would imagine via RCA (I've only ever used the wires)?

A: should be hooked up via RCA's if the speaker's are amped. just make sure you hook up the rem turn on to both amps. ( mid's highs amp, and sub amp)

2. Hooking up the navigation unit, iPod cable, and CD changer are going to be a matter of running the cables and mounting the boxes, right?

A: yes. there should be specific spots behind the deck for these plug's.

3. Where do you normally mount the navigation unit? Is under one of the front seats OK or is there a better place? I should run the antenna wire up to the dash, right?

A: where ever they fit, yes antenna to where it would hook up, some nav brains need to be placed in a certain direction in the car so pay attention to that.

4. The navigation unit is missing the power connector that plugs into the back; where can I purchase a replacement?

A: any kenwood dealer should have, or be able to order you one.

5. Is there anything else you guys can think of that might assist me, or anything I need to be sure not to do?

A: is there a speed sence wire you need to hook up? parking break. just make sure you have all the wire harness's you need, before you install it and relize you are missing something.

Thanks guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.