No noise from head unit or amp outputs until I connect them together

Participant count
  • Participant list

AudioGeek

I just installed an amp for my mids and tweets. I'm hearing a quiet constant ringing sound that doesn't get louder when the volume is turned up. I also hear every single electronic I use, like all my lights and power window buttons. When the engine is running, I also hear the alternator whining, which changes pitch with the RPMs.

I don't get it. I can hook my head unit up to some headphones, and the output is fine. I can hook up an ipod or any music directly to the amp, using the same RCA wires that run to the head unit, and it plays fine. So I don't think it's the RCA cables.

I already had one amp and subs installed, but I got a brand new head unit (found out the outputs on the old head unit were completely shot). My new head unit is an Alpine CDE-141. The RCA cables are also brand new, and shielded. I also tried another brand new set of RCAs, straight back to the amp, not crossing ANY wires at all, just for good measure. Same thing, no noise from either head unit or amp, until they are connected to each other.

The head unit is grounded through the wiring harness, which was working fine with my old deck. It also seems to work fine with my subs+amp still. Of course it's hard to hear high frequencies through the sub, but I don't hear the thump that I hear through my highs when I move roll the windows up or down.

The new amp for mids + highs is grounded to the same bolt as the sub amp is.

I'm confused, since I have isolated and tested the head unit, RCA cables, and the new amp. All in the exact same setup. But yet the speakers have all these noises when they get hooked up to the head unit.

Forgot to mention a few things, not sure if it will help: there is more, louder steady noise when the engine is on. so many engine ground needs to be replaced. but still doesn't explain why my amp will play an ipod fine with no noise, with the car on too.

Also the speakers thump/click off pretty loud. They're fine when turning them on, only turning off. This happens even if I turn the music all the way down, then turn the head unit off or take it out (pops when head unit is turned off). Again it seems to only have a noise from the mids + highs, not the subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.