No Dash Lights after installing an aftermarket JVC Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list

lindazman

I replaced my factory head with a JVC unit, I used a Scosche stereo connector FDK106, as advised however, now I have no dash lights. It is a 2002 Ford Explorer early build, and the fuses are not blown. The orange illumination wire is not connected either, so does anyone here have any ideas to help me solve my problem? The 3/4" X 3/4" connector is not connected either, but this is two wires that dont seem to affect the dash lights or do they? Am I missing a connector?

For ALL of the lights to not be working, and no fuses are blown it sounds like a ground problem.

Is there a common ground shared be the dash lighting that could have been disconnected during the head unit install?

For this situation, it may be highly unlikely but could it be a dimmer/light control circuit that is burnt?

What us simple with this is that the problem is the circuit for the lighting isn't being completed, the problem is tracing where the circuit is broken.

I once had a problem in a Durango where the lights would flicker, and the eventually died. It was all tied back to a lighting control module that was in the drivers kick panel. Basically it was a regulated ground box with a circuit board. All lighting - dash, interior, running lights, ect, run through the box and if there is a fault in it you can loose or have intermitang lighting issues. It was actually pretty common.

Does your Ford have anything similar?

I have already replaced the headlight switch which has the dimmer built in, wasted $100 bucks! I have checked for open circuits and have found none. I have a red/blk illumination return wire in the factory harness at the head unit. I hooked a hot wire there and the dash lights illuminated, so I had thought I had an open circuit/fuse between the head unit and the headlight switch, but I haven't found it! If it even exists! I took it to the Ford dealer and they didn't have a clue, imagine that, more wasted money!! I re-installed my factory head unit and that didn't work either! I have checked for a ground problem, I even ran a new ground to the head unit seperate from the factory harness and that didn't work either. **** crazy, I am starting to think I have a Grimlin under the dash somewhere! I have checked for chaffed wires and looked for a bad ground I have found nothing! I have found similer problems on other boards however, no one has posted the answer to their issue. This is my wife's truck, so a Gerry rig is out of the equation. My wife has blown speakers with the factory head unit so I decided to completely replace everything including the head unit, I also installed a amplified Bazooka tube and the system sounds great with all the upgrades, and I don't think she will blow the speakers this time, not without blowing the windows out too!! Anyway, now, her dash lights don't work. Great job huh?? CRAZY!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

lindazman

lindazman
Dayton, Tn
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
lindazman