New to Car Audio - basic questions - new to forum!!

holycow
10+ year member

Sup everybody! I found this crazy cool forum a couple of days ago and have been reading and search like mad. Finally created my account so i could post and converse with you fine people.

Me:

I used to have a killer system in a civic I owned back in about 1996, but it has literally been that long since I have even talked about the subject. I am basically back to square one with this stuff, which is why I need your help!

My Goal:

Upgrade the stock POS system that came with my 07 subaru STI with something a little nicer. Head Unit, Fronts, Amp, Sub. I need more volume, something a little clearer, and something with a little low end kick. I listen to Rock, hard rock, RnB, hiphop, but nothing like real boomy rap kinda boom.

What I am considering now:

Well, first and foremost, I am on a relatively tight budget, and I am not looking for anything so powerful that I could kill low flying birds while driving down the street. I am looking for a decent head unit that provides a clean signal that simply does it's job (nothing fancy). I am looking for a 10" sub that gives me some nice low end punch, but nothing outrageous, and last but not least, an amp to drive the 1 sub, and 2 front speakers.

Here is what I have in mind for Deck, Amp, and Sub

Deck - Clarion DXZ275MP CD Receiver

Simple enough, attractive, not expensive

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TfwTUk5g9fU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=020DXZ275&s=0&cc=01

Sub - Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 1 10" 4-ohm

Decent punch, not over the top, low on cost, should be sufficient for a little bass

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TfwTUk5g9fU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=575P110S4&s=0&cc=01

Amp - Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4 60W x 4 Car Amplifier

I assume I can use this amp for 60W for each of the front speakers, and then run 2 channels simultaneously to the 1 sub for 120W? (might have to explain this, im not sure how that works)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TfwTUk5g9fU/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=575P4504&s=0&cc=01

Front Speakers - An older set of Polk Audio 6.5" coaxial speakers (dont have the model in front of me, but they were a higher end line at the time)

I don't know much about these, except they used to be in my old car with my old system. All I know, is that they sounded fantastic at the time (ran them with a Mcintosh 10" sub). Should these be sufficient for the front stage speakers?

My questions:

1) Is this the right setup? Can I use this 4 channel amp to run the two fronts, and the 1 sub? In other words, can I turn this 4 channel amp into a 3 channel for 60/60/120?

2) Should I disconnect the rear door speakers and just run two fronts and the subs, or would it be worth it to run 5 channels? In other words, will the three channels be enough?

3) Does this head unit work? I see that some amps have one amp pre-out (no idea what that means), some have two, and some have none. If I wanted to run TWO amps one day, will this head unit still work?

4) Does this punch 10 run just fine in something like a .6 cu sealed box in the trunk?

Thanks for your help everybody, I look forward to reading your replies!

BTW, I will likely be having a shop do the install as I just don't quite know enough on how this stuff works.

Brandon

how low is the budget exactly?
Well, my budget is "spend as little as is reasonable". Since I know im goign to have to spend a couple hundred bucks on the install, I think 400-500 bucks is what I am going to be able to spend on gear (not counting the polks; I already have those).

you could probably do better.
I realize I could do better... my goal isn't to have the absolute top end system that you can hear coming from a mile away, im more or less looking for a moderate upgrade in all areas over my stock POS, without breaking the bank.

yeah you can definately do better. there's a reason that sub is $50. spend a little more and do it right the first time and you'll be happier.

yeah you can definately do better. there's a reason that sub is $50. spend a little more and do it right the first time and you'll be happier.
Ok, perhaps the stage2 sub? I don't really know the difference other than what it says in the specs, which only seems to be more power handling. How about the amp and the deck? THey seem good enough to do what I will need them to do? Will my older polk audio 6.5 coaxes do the job ok?

anybody else chime in on my other questions?

Stay away from rockford subs?... hhmm... ok, tell me why //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Soobie power!

I'll see you a nice 4 channel pioneer amp I have. I'll let it go for cheap, since you're a fellow soobie guy and well.. you're a friend =P

As for the rest of your system, the HU should be a low-end Alpine. Even at low end, they provide much better functionality and features than most clarions. Your front speakers will work fine. The amp I'll sell you will be simply awesome (used to power the alpine type X's). Now all you need is an amp for the sub and a sub. I've got a sealed 10" box I can also sell you for very cheap--very well built, bought at a stereo store. Very nice box. Saves you more money there. If you want a nice budget sub, we can probably get you something from Image Dynamics for only a little over $100. I'll send you an email about it.

-cris

How about we learn from my mistakes.

I bought everything for my car the same day...im definitely not satisfied.

Spend that 4-500 on...

-a quality HU - Pioneer would be awesome for you(less expensive with great tuning features) or alpine kenwood jvc ect.

-a set of polk speakers for the rear of your car.

- an amp for your speakers and a nice one too

This way your piecing higher quality stuff together when the money is available. Get the sub later..you will be much happier.

Just a heads up....I'm currently doing a 2.5 RS (2003) and the front speakers have very little room behind them when the window comes down. Make sure you check this. I'm going to have to do some interesting speaker brackets to mount the Infinity Kappa's I'm putting in there without modifying the door panel. I'm not 100% sure that I'll be able to do that yet as I'm still at another part of my install. Also, for my rear doors, I had to actually mount the speakers to the inside of the door panel because they were sticking out to far. I had to drop my home made MDF ring through the top of the door, than I put the clay on it, mounted the speaker (Infinity Kappa 4") and then mounted that to the door from the inside. It wasn't easy or fun, but the door panel went back on! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just a heads up....I'm currently doing a 2.5 RS (2003) and the front speakers have very little room behind them when the window comes down. Make sure you check this. I'm going to have to do some interesting speaker brackets to mount the Infinity Kappa's I'm putting in there without modifying the door panel.
I hear that! I just helped my buddy Chris install some 5 1/4 mids and tweet seperates in the fronts of his legacy 2.5i, and we needed to build spacers (3/4 inch) to get them to clear the window. We used simple white 3/4 inch foam board from michaels. Easy to cut to shape, and does a fine job as a spacer. lined up right, they cleared the door panel with ease.

Now, the STI door... not so sure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.