New to all of this

valor135

I am new to car audio systems. I'm looking to replace all the 4 current speakers and the head unit and get a couple subs.

I will start off with what I want. I want a system that sounds good and I can easily EQ it whether I am listening to the heaviest metal you can think of to the dubstep with the most bass. I also want it to be easily affordable.

I have a 1995 Toyota Celica 2 door hatchback. I am going to go in phases. Head unit, Speakers, amps and subs.

I already have a head unit picked out its an Alpine - 50W x 4 Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck. I found it on Best Buy.

I would like some advice on whether that is a good head unit for the price or not.

Next, I would like some advice on what to choose for the front and rear speakers, and what I need to look for when picking them out.

Also, amps and sub suggestions and I have been told to match the ohms, but I am not sure about any of that.

Also any other tips or what I may be missing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and even more so for taking the time out of your day to help a newbie build his system.

I was going through best buy because geek squad can install that stuff, I know it isn't cheap. But at least I know there will be someone that knows what they are doing working on it.

It will be in phases, but I wouldn't really want to spend more than 150 bucks for the head unit, as for speakers, I don't even know what to look for, as for the difference in 2-way and 3-way speakers and what not.

I know I'd like 2 subs and figure maybe 10s, and idk if each sub needs an amp or if 1 amp works for 2 subs.

I'm a complete and total beginner with very minimal knowledge on any of this stuff.

i understamd where you are coming but if you want quality you have to pay for good quality this hobby isnt cheap unless you want some q-power or boss speakers. you have to learn yourself how to do this. what if your system dont turn on or whatever the case is who are you going to go with the "professionals and there goes more money again! just think about it man you wont need help from no one to do your own install

I was going through best buy because geek squad can install that stuff, I know it isn't cheap. But at least I know there will be someone that knows what they are doing working on it.
It will be in phases, but I wouldn't really want to spend more than 150 bucks for the head unit, as for speakers, I don't even know what to look for, as for the difference in 2-way and 3-way speakers and what not.

I know I'd like 2 subs and figure maybe 10s, and idk if each sub needs an amp or if 1 amp works for 2 subs.

I'm a complete and total beginner with very minimal knowledge on any of this stuff.
Lol I wouldn't trust any Best Buy employee to touch my car. You have an older car so installing it should be pretty easy and you'll save a lot of money.

Head unit wise, I'd go to that site I listed as you'll pay way less than you would at best buy (not to mention getting free install accessories). What is your budget for the rest?

I would suggest you reconsider the amount of money you've allotted for your source unit...this is not the place to skimp on $$. Even more true if you're going to be doing it in stages, and not adding amp until later. Get something good to begin with and you won't be dealing with regrets.

Would suggest you try to not be in a rush to get things done for exactly the same reason. Take your time, do your research, spend time looking for good deals on each component, and do it right the first time.

In the end, this will save you time, money, and headaches...

Listen to these guys man. They have helped me so much. Best buy is garbage and way to high. My own personal opinion, i wouldnt buy from crutchfeild either. I think they are way over priced to but as far as warranty and customer service, they are great.

Crutchfield is excellent for customer service and they send you all the parts you will need to install it, thier prices are a little higher than some of the others mentioned but for the head unit I would recommend crutchfield 10 fold over best buy. You can call them up as well while you are doing the install for guidance if you get confused. They will send you instructions for your vehicle on what to take apart in your dash and how to do it, send you wire harness, how to hook it up, dash kit etc all included in the price of the head unit.

Yes. I was really close to skimping out on a cheap kenwood sub system, and these guys stopped me dead my tracks. Now because of them, I bought a single sub that was worth 3 times those kenwoods, and probably outputs more than 3x the quality. I haven't experienced it yet, as its still being shipped to me, but you might not think that these people are in their right minds, but they definitely are. And because of them, I know that the system that I haven't even seen yet will bump to an expectation thats higher than my own.

Spend more, buy once, get exactly what your looking for.

You don't have to spend a lot, but the oomph of your spending will be on your sub stage no doubt.

Read a lot before you buy ANYTHING. Take everything with a grain of salt, there is a lot of misinformation out there, you will figure out who you can trust and who you can't.

I agree with the suggestions for Crutchfield on the head unit, wouldn't buy anything else there.

If you are somewhat handy, you can do most if not all of the work yourself. That will save you a ton of money in the long run, and you will know how to troubleshoot and fix issues that might arise in the future.

Study, study, then study some more. There are some incredible bargains out there, especially if you are willing to go used. As you study, you are going to find that you probably haven't even budgeted for some very necessary things, like sound deadening and quality wiring.

You sub box is going to be incredibly important. There are some good designers on here. Mobile Enclosures would be my recommendation.

Your "do it a piece at a time" idea is great, better to buy what you want the first go around, than to buy junk the first time and wind up buying what you wanted in the first place anyway.

99 percent of the time be sure you bring lube and eat dinner first, they won't even take you out to eat before they screw you. If you do go this route, do your homework before you show up at the shop.
Maybe where you live. Not all shops are out to screw you over. Its good to be educated before you go, but alot of shops are just trying to take care of their customers.

I thank you all for the tips, but I can't really set an adequate budget for something i know nothing about. I know I want a new head unit, speakers (i have a total of 4 now) and 2 subs. I know I need a couple amps for the subs and I want an EQ as well. other than that, I have no idea how any of it works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

valor135

valor135
Lancaster, Ohio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
valor135