New System in a SUV

I just purchased a '99 Mountaineer.

This is my first SUV and I need help picking amps and subs and an enclosure.

I have a Sony cassette that I want to upgrade.

I have a Sony CD changer that I would rather keep.

I have two PG amps that I like but, they are older models.

I also have a bandpass box for two 10's, but I don't know if this sub

setup will sould good in a SUV.

Any advice would be helpful.

I'm a fan of JL Audio, but I am open minded to other manufactures.

Cya and thx,

With an SUV you pretty much have every type of option. JL makes some good stuff, I think the W7's are the best but the W3's are good too. I know that http://www.cbrstereo.com has some pretty good prices on all of Fosgates stuff, maybe you could check that out. You really can't beat a Rockford amp for the prices. I mean, they are WAY underrated. Most put out at least 100 more watts than what is says. The subs aren't too bad either. I recommend either the HE 12's, 15's, HX2 12's, 15's, or even the Power HX2's. I know that the HE subs sound really good in ported boxes and I think they are only like $79 a piece, and a punch 250 would be plenty on them, you would probably only have to spend $400 on 2 12's and the amp, under $500 for the complete system if you built the box yourself. Like I said, I know that these subs sound really good. Another option is Alpine Type R 12's, they cost a little more but they are EXCELLENT subs. Of course Kicker is good. But like I said, you could get a really good sound system for about $500. Just check out http://www.cbrstereo.com and see what you like. Good Luck!

dude if its a open area dont go with a bandpass plus bandpass is for amatrures . go with a big ported box . then you will push some air . plus bandpass only sounds good in a enclosed area like the trunk of a car .

i have a 94 yukon with four 15 " kaption spl's in two seperate sealed enclosures (2 subs per box)and they sound great. The sealed enclosure sounds tight for 15's but you need alot of power. I run 2 pheonix gold zx600 ti's on the subs. You should keep your old amps for your mids and highs and purchase a new PG amp for your subs. keep it real with pheonix gold!

I have a 99 durango w/ 2 10 inch JL W'3's and a PPI PC275 amp with a LA Cap it pound the hell i would definatly reccomend JL Audio W3's!

I have a 2002 montero sport LTD and I'm running 4 crossfire 12" BMF's with two crossfire BMF 1000D amps. If you haven't heard crossfire BMF subs they are worth looking into. In a SUV they sound kick A$$. I am getting ready to upgrade and put two more 12" and change to 2 crossfire vr2000D amps around 4500 watts total but two 12 and one 1000D in the right box will hit over 150 guaranteed!!!

Okay. I do plan on getting some new JL's... either 12w3's or 10w3's

But I'm still hesitant on the box style.

JL has this HO box that they recommend highly.

Has anyone had experience with'em?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

my brother has the HO215R - W3 enclosure that has 2 15" W3's in it being pushed by a MTX Thunder81000D amp...and it really slams hard in the back of his blazer, the powerwedge and prowedge series arent the best from JL, but they are still are pretty dam good....u should get 2 12" W3's or W7's and make your own box

JL subs are always a good choice and until recently I would have told you to grab some W7's but although I have never heard them, there are a lot of car audio experts on this as well as other forums that would say they aren't worth it. They all agree that they are good subs but a few mistakes have been made in the design and they are just plain overpriced...they saved me from making a mistake, so I just thought i'd pass it on. My advice would also be W3's or W6's, but if you want to check anything else out I'd see about some Infinity Perfects...I've been running them for a few years now and they have never given me anything but unbelieveable SQ and full deep bass, but I use a sealed encloser on them just because I don't see why I should have to sacrifice any SQ for my stereo to be a few db's louder, its already plenty loud for me and my neighbors!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Hi,

I have a Chevy Blazer that i put one JL 12W3 in a Sealed box. Approx internal Area is about 1.25 Cu FT. I powered it by half of my punch 360a2 amp. it just pounds something fierce.

I hope this helps. Have fun!

my buddy has a 4 door blazer with 4 12"w7 powered by a amp unknown to me, the setup he has sounds wonderful. also we have a store here in st. louis called ultamateelectronics. in the store the have a pt cruser pushin 174 db. with 4 he2 or something rf subs and 2 huge amps. (sorry i dont have all the specks) this thing is incredible.. well iam done

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.