new here major question about my l7 and punch amp`

Participant count
  • Participant list

kwbyfrmhell

okc
hello, I have a question, I have a dodge dakota single cab I have already put in a l7 in a sealed box .75 cub foot which is recomended by kicker. the woofer is dvc 4 ohm. the amp I am running is a punch 401s. I am currently running stereo each side for one voice coil. My question is will my amp handle bridged with the speaker running series. what are my options, do I need a different amp. will this one handle the ohm load. I know i need to port the box, which will be done later on. thanks

That amp is not stable @ 2ohm bridged....so NO

That L7 is only getting 200W right now.

Get a different amp.

I would suggest a 2ohm stable Mono amp that does 600-1000Wrms

You don't need to Port that box at all. Either keep it sealed and mounted in that box or get a whole different box if you want to go to a ported setup.

What size L7 is it?

series would put the speaker at 8ohm, you are looking for paralell, which is 2ohm. Is that 401s a 4channel? I have seen 2channels bridged for a 2ohm load on those before, and it was fine, but it isnt advisable. Actually, how you have it is your best bet, running the coils independently. Unless you wire series and bridge at 8ohm, that is essentially a 4ohm stereo load anyways...as for an amp upgrade, you want a mono thats about 600-800rms at 2ohm....and you will "port the box later" is completely unadvisable. .75 would be a very small ported enclosure

You have a dual 4-ohm sub - that means you can either wire it in series for 8ohms, or parallel for 2ohms. That amplifier is only 4ohm stable when it's bridged, meaning you're better off running it stereo like you are right now - one voice coil per channel. However, that amp only puts out 100w per channel (100w x 2) - that is not nearly enough power to drive an L7, ESPECIALLY in a sealed box. You're going to want to get a new amp, one that can at least match the RMS rating of the sub (that sub can handle much more, though).

When it comes to building a ported box, you can't simply add a port tube to a box and call it a done deal. You're going to need to build a whole new box and tune it to Kicker's specs since it seems this is your first time messing with car audio, and going outside of the manufacturers specs is unadvisable if you don't know what you're doing.

Edit: I just now read that you're driving an 8" L7. You'll still need a stronger amp, but you're not too far off.

get a new ported box... get a amp that will do 600 rms @ 2 ohm.. wire the sub to 2 ohm.. wire from red to red... wire from black to black.. then one wire from red and one from black to amp... waalaa

by the way I was not saying I would port the box later it came out wrong just down the road if I feel neccesary I will build a ported box

by the way why is it that in kickers specs they dont advise a round tube, but in their brochure they use a round for their factory boxes....lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.