New Here.. I Need Help With Rewiring My System

PurpleHaze13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Charlotte, NC
I've been having electrical issues from day one. Last year I had to replace my alternator and got a more powerful battery. Now my lights are starting to do the flickering to the beat. So I want to get a additional battery just for my system but I need to know where to begin. I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt so the battery is in the trunk. I also have new 0 gauge power wire and ground wire I want to swap out. Any help?

Bobbytwonames

Pro Pot Stirrer
Aug 28, 2018
I've been having electrical issues from day one. Last year I had to replace my alternator and got a more powerful battery. Now my lights are starting to do the flickering to the beat. So I want to get a additional battery just for my system but I need to know where to begin. I have a 2005 Chevy Cobalt so the battery is in the trunk. I also have new 0 gauge power wire and ground wire I want to swap out. Any help?
What does your system consist of? We need to know what you are trying to power.

buckeyes#1

Senior VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
p-town
first thing big 3 upgrade !!! i dont see a boss amp pushin enough watts to upgrade any electrical , besides the big 3

Seahawkdodge

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Florida
An extra battery is a lot of work. It needs an isolator and a mounting box or bracket. That's in addition to the wiring.

Make sure your grounds are clean and properly grounded. Make sure your ground wire is at least the same gauge as your power wire.

If your grounds are good, a good 1mfd cap is a lot easier to install than a second battery.

buckeyes#1

Senior VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
p-town
its a BOSS amp no need for any electrical upgrades , me and a lot of others have ran better amps with a lot more wattage on stock electrical with no issues , but i would agree better grounds and big 3 will do the trick no caps and or 2nd battery needed

Reactions: Popwarhomie
OP
P

PurpleHaze13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Thanks for everyone's feedback. My ex-husband was the one that did all of the wiring work initially and I've been doing the correcting on my own. Apparently he "made" his own "ground wire". No BS it's two speaker wires so I'll be definitely swapping out with the 0 gauge I bought. Is there a way to post a picture on here to actually show you guys wat it looks like?

OP
P

PurpleHaze13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Charlotte, NC
its a BOSS amp no need for any electrical upgrades , me and a lot of others have ran better amps with a lot more wattage on stock electrical with no issues , but i would agree better grounds and big 3 will do the trick no caps and or 2nd battery needed
Wat amp do you prefer? I'm not tryna break the bank. I started with a class d 300watt pioneer amp but I no longer have it.

OP
P

PurpleHaze13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Charlotte, NC
An extra battery is a lot of work. It needs an isolator and a mounting box or bracket. That's in addition to the wiring.

Make sure your grounds are clean and properly grounded. Make sure your ground wire is at least the same gauge as your power wire.

If your grounds are good, a good 1mfd cap is a lot easier to install than a second battery.
I really need someone to walk me thru this if you can't tell lol

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Thanks.. looking on Amazon for one right now as we speak
Like you already found out, get a good ground to that amp. 0 gauge is way too thick of a cable and hard to work with. I would get a 4 awg kit instead. Make sure it says 4 AWG and not 4 gauge. It will be anywhere $40-$75. Connect straight to battery with the kit's fuse 1 foot or less from the battery positive post. Positive to red post and Negative to black post of the battery. With the extra 4 awg cable, wire the engine with the body of the car. The strut/shock tower will be the best spot. Remove one nut that holds the strut in place and scrape the paint off until you reach clean metal. Crimp a terminal onto the cable tip and place into the tower bolt, washer on top of that, then the nut on top of that, tighten. Now do the same with a bolt on the engine. It may be hard to find one but is important. This will make sure that 100% of the power reaches your battery. This pic is the best I could find. Red is the wire and tips are bolts.
Screenshot_20200414-183402.png

OP
P

PurpleHaze13

CarAudio.com Newbie
Apr 7, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Like you already found out, get a good ground to that amp. 0 gauge is way too thick of a cable and hard to work with. I would get a 4 awg kit instead. Make sure it says 4 AWG and not 4 gauge. It will be anywhere $40-$75. Connect straight to battery with the kit's fuse 1 foot or less from the battery positive post. Positive to red post and Negative to black post of the battery. With the extra 4 awg cable, wire the engine with the body of the car. The strut/shock tower will be the best spot. Remove one nut that holds the strut in place and scrape the paint off until you reach clean metal. Crimp a terminal onto the cable tip and place into the tower bolt, washer on top of that, then the nut on top of that, tighten. Now do the same with a bolt on the engine. It may be hard to find one but is important. This will make sure that 100% of the power reaches your battery. This pic is the best I could find. Red is the wire and tips are bolts.View attachment 21335
The type of car I have doesn't have a battery under the hood it is in the trunk. Instructions still the same? I stand corrected also. I currently have 4gauge wires not 0.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds