New head unit works fine on the bench, not in my car.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Solidsnake

I installed a Sony head unit a few years ago and it worked fine up until a month ago. All of the sudden it became unresponsive and would not function properly. Aside from being able to turn the volume up and down I could do nothing else. I pulled the unit and bench tested it and it was still unresponsive. I ordered a new Pioneer head unit from eBay wired it in and it did not function properly. It played fine but I could not pull up the menu to go into the system settings, control my iPod, etc. The remote would not work either. I sent it back and got a new one. Same problem...

I pulled the unit out and bench tested it and it works fine on the bench, not in my car. This tells me the problem is my car/wiring and not the head unit. I double checked my wiring and everything is fine. I also tested the ground when it screws to the chassis and it is fine as well as the additional chassis ground.

Any ideas as to what to check next? I am hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I installed a Sony head unit a few years ago and it worked fine up until a month ago. All of the sudden it became unresponsive and would not function properly. Aside from being able to turn the volume up and down I could do nothing else. I pulled the unit and bench tested it and it was still unresponsive. I ordered a new Pioneer head unit from eBay wired it in and it did not function properly. It played fine but I could not pull up the menu to go into the system settings, control my iPod, etc. The remote would not work either. I sent it back and got a new one. Same problem...
I pulled the unit out and bench tested it and it works fine on the bench, not in my car. This tells me the problem is my car/wiring and not the head unit. I double checked my wiring and everything is fine. I also tested the ground when it screws to the chassis and it is fine as well as the additional chassis ground.

Any ideas as to what to check next? I am hoping that someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for the help!
How did you check the wiring? Multimeter? Test light? Did you use a factory to aftermarket adapter? Definitely a harness issue.

I checked the grounds with a power probe and used a Scosche wiring harness.
Try bypassing the harness for your power and acc. Run the hot to the battery and the acc to a switched (power with the key on) source and see if it powers up correctly. If that works, you can leave it that way.

Try bypassing the harness for your power and acc. Run the hot to the battery and the acc to a switched (power with the key on) source and see if it powers up correctly. If that works, you can leave it that way.
Thanks for the input. I will give that a try.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.