New car/new system, opinions?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey. I'm new to this site, and pretty amateur when it comes to car audio.

As a background I used to have a 2003 cavalier. I've had different components in it (energy, and mtx) and different coaxials (energy, pioneer) but never amped them sadly. In the sub department I've had two 12 phase 1 rockfords with rockfard 300 watt amp, later on I had the same amp running two infinity 12's. I then switched to a single 12 t1 rockford, using the same amp but had planned to upgrade to a different one (never did). At a later point I switched to a kicker 700.1 amp and a kicker l7 12.

Anyways, currently I justtt purchased a 2006 chrysler 300 AWD touring. I also went ahead and bought a system from my local car audio shop (east hamilton radio). Picture of car (not exact car but looks nearly identical

untitled.jpg

I saved up and tried to get something relatively "quality" and complete (not skimping out on a second amp for the speakers and all that). I bought:

-Kenwood KDC-X794 Deck

4 volt preouts

-Kenwood XR-4S Amp

120watts x 4 at 4ohms

-Hertz ESK165 components (6.5 components replacing the stock front 6x9s)

100 watts rms, 200 watts peak

-Hertz ECX 690 coaxials for the rear (6x9s)

100 watts rms, 200 watts peak

-2 JL 12w3v3's

wired to 2ohms

-Audison SR1dk amp

1 ohm stable

1200 watts x 1 at 1ohm

940 watts x 1 at 2ohms

IMG00116-20101219-1058.jpg

-built the box to specs, tuned to 30hertz

IMG00117-20101220-1927.jpg

Haven't yet installed the system. However wondering on some of the more experienced opinions on this setup. I was told the leather interior drastically reduces bass, and that bass in my cavalier will seem 2x louder with the same setup, so I went with two 12w3s as opposed to one 12w6 as I was told the two w3s would produce more spl and sq. Was told displacement is what makes this the case, unless I went up to a w7 (which I'd love to do but can't afford right now). I'm pretty excited to get it all in there, but I'm having that same shop install it as I can do some basic installs but not where stearing wheel controls need to be kept on the deck and the modules and what not for that... I'd be lost. Thanks in advance. Any advice or opinions, specifically on whether I'll be needing to upgrade something in the future (my worry is the subs wont be loud enough for my liking) would be appreciated.

Worst part of equipment you bought was probably the Kenwood amp, but at least it's the excelon series, so it's not terrible. I don't know much about Audison amps actually so I can't comment on that one. I like your deck choice. I'd hate to hear what you paid for JL and Hertz, especially from a shop. I'm sure you could have done much better for cheaper, but if you're having the shop do the install, perhaps buying from them was best as install will be cheaper than if you had bought the equipment elsewhere. If installed correctly, and that box is designed/built properly, it should be louder than any of those other setups you had and sound much better. So my opinion=I wouldn't have bought that stuff for the money as I feel better can be found, plus I install myself. For someone shopping around to give a local shop business and not installing themselves, I'm sure you'll be more than content.

thanks. Yeah I'm Canadian, sadly there really aren't thatttt many choices. The local shop I went to is huge in car audio for the area. That being said it was relatively pricey (for me mind you, my budget isn't huge). They cut a decent bit off their in store prices as I was buying from them. But that being said my other option was woofersetc (I ordered from them before and was pleased) but as soon as I told my local shop that I was thinking of going there they instantly dropped their prices for me to a lot more competitive to that site (that including the fact I deal with duties, shipping, taxes, and currency conversion shopping from woofersetc).

ALL PRICES Canadian:

The 12w3s-$480 for the pair (retail is $299 each)

The audison amp- $529.99 (retail $699.99)

Hertz components- $250 (retail 299.99)

Hertz 6x9s- 200 (retail 249.99)

Kenwood deck- 269.86 (retail 299.99)

Kenwood 4 channel- 399.99 (retail 499.99)

I'm sure I didn't get the BEST deal. But shopping locally, sadly, it was the best I could do in my area without going online. I'm sure all of you know if I absurdly paid to high or not

That being said I got a reallyyyy good deal on the car, so I can't complain //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif lol. The 06 chrysler 300 awd (mind you its the touring model not the hemi or anything), leather interior, heated seats, etc, only 58000kms (not sure what that is in miles, maybe 30,000 :S) and it cost me $2500 CDN. Now theres a big difference in car purchase prices between the US and Canada. This vehicle with similar options and mileage is listed privately and at dealerships from anywhere between 10-14 thousand so I guess I don't feel too bad if I over spent on the audio. (reason for the inexpensive car price is it was a lease buyout from my dads business).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.