New at this, not sure if I scewed something up

Participant count
  • Participant list

spikesnet

So I just bought a used 2004 Chevy Silverado Z71. At the time I bought it, it had the factory stereo in it and the speaker panel labels say "Bose". I know the truck came from the factory with Bose but I'm not sure if the original owner removed them (I find it unlikely thought). With the factory stereo I don't remember anything sounding badly like I'm about to describe, but I'd have to reinstall it again to be 100% sure of that.

So, here is what I did (please note I am a software engineer but I've never installed car audio stuff before now. Also note that I did read and follow all instructions and I called the company that made the parts when I had questions). With that disclaimer out of the way, I went to bestbuy and bought all of the following:

Pioneer - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-Ready In-Dash CD Deck

Metra - Installation Kit for Select 1995-2008 GM Vehicles

Metra - Replacement Interface for Most GM Vehicles - GMOS-04

Metra - Steering Wheel Control Interface - Black ASWC

I spent hours going over the instructions for each production, I watched youtube videos, etc. Then I wired the whole thing up and put it in the truck.

Everything works, the steering wheel controls, the radio plays, and the door chimes work. However, if I attempt to play anything with bass it gets super distorted and sounds awful. Anything without bass, like for example "Lynyrd Skynyrd" sounds fine.

I've also noticed that the stereo needs to be almost full volume for it to seem loud. The volume on the stereo goes up to 62, but you got to get to like 45 before you start hearing anything.

I didn't crimp my wires, I just taped the real good, so I asked the installer at bestbuy if he thought that was the problem and he said no.

I'm not sure if I just need to tune the stereo better, I played around with the bass/mid/etc but no matter what if sounded horrible and forget it if you use the built in EQ it's even worse.

Please help me, I want my new truck to sound good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.