Neons off switches, 4 on 1 and 3 on 1

Participant count
  • Participant list

IronCityGuy
10+ year member

Just need a little help on this.

I plan on running 7 10" Blue tubes and need help on the plan.

Two tubes under each of the front seats and three in the sub box.

The 4 total tubes under the front seats will be on one switch and the three in the sub box will be on another.

Each tube comes with a built in transformer and cigarette lighter adapter which I'll be chopping off. I'm guessing they are all 12v rated.

Whats the best way to do this?

Incorporate a relay for power on/off duties.

If you're planning on running two different circuits then you'll want two relays. 30 amp Single Pole Single Throw relays (available most anywhere electronic components are sold....Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, most any automotive parts stores such as AutoZone, etc)

Wire the relays to where they have their own power source, use your intended switches as activators, and then have the relays power on the neons.

Just hack off the cigarette lighter plugs as they won't be used. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not sure if they are fused or not. I tried to contact the seller of the item and he said the amperage was low but uncertain to the exact specs. I got 7 10" tubes for $50 and they were cosmetically what I was looking for. I was ignorent to the power specs. I was thinking maybe 1 Amp or less per tube.

I understand the principle that an electronically powered device will only pull the power it needs to operate but if I'm correct in guessing only the need of about one Amp to power each isn't a 30 Amp relay over kill? The tubes have a built in transformer but if they are fused somewhere it would be internal and if it blows the tube is shot. Shot at least to me cause I couldn't fix it. Should I go with a 30 Amp relay and then fuse after it to limit the power.

I see the opinion of an inline fuse. I was thinking that keeping the power supply at only 5 Amps would power the tubes and protect them as well. I thought of two ways for power. Direct from the battery or from the fuse box. Check out this Add-A-Circut item. Could I wire the tubes directly to this from an unused fuse slot?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.