need quick help, tweeters active (vc100) problems

blackbonnie
5,000+ posts

The Revolution
i got my active setup all set on friday. sounded great. i had my vc100's crossed at 2.5k on a 24db slope, i ended up switching them to 3.15k on a 24db slope. well sunday i was in my car with my buddy and i was showing him what it could do.

i turned it up to 50 on the hu (goes up to 63) and after about 10 seconds the tweeters went out. i didnt know what was wrong with them as i definately wasnt overpowering them with my 100.4, and my gains are set just over 1/2 right now until i got my dmm from my girls house.

my id oem's still worked great, and loud.

so i go out there today to try and figure it out, i disconnect the rca to the oems channel and come to find out the tweeters still work, but they are barely audible.

i cranked the hu and the gain for there channel and you can hear them but they are nothing like what they use to be. i dont want to say you have to listen closely to hear them, but its not like you can sit back and listen to them easily.

anyone know what my problem may be? i dont think i blew them because they still work, were underpowered, the amp definately was clipping, and they do not sound distoreted.

any suggestions on what to do?

gains set over half on a 100.4.. was probably too much. The gains alllll the way down probably would've been right.

have another amp to try them on?
or try them on the back 2 channels on the 100.4... ?
i have tried them on both channels and they play on both channels but are very quite on either one.

i also tried my oem's on each channel, and they sound just fine on either one.

Is there an external Xover on them? Maybe something happened to them.
im running active as stated already

gains set over half on a 100.4.. was probably too much. The gains alllll the way down probably would've been right.
but what i dont understand is they are rated 100w rms/300w peak (which doesnt matter but shows they can handle a little extra power), and i had my gain set at 1/2 on my 100.4. i have 5 volt preouts but i wouldnt think at 1/2 gain it would put out much more then 100w but i didnt have my dmm so im not sure.

many people told me that the vc100's off my 100.4 would be underpowering them

what i would like to know though, is what do tweeters sound like after they are blown?

or what other signs should i look at to check if they are still good? dmm on the wires/impedence check?

I did an install with a pair of those ran off of the HU (9835)... I still had to attenuate them about -9db relative to the mids. that's ~5-10w off the HU

seriously? with the blaupunkt vc100's?

well if these tweets are dead i definately think im gonna look elsewhere.

i have heard amazing things about them, but if they cant handle the power i want them to then i want something that can.

james, you got a decent tweeter combo that would go good with my oem's for around 75$ max?

i want something really bright that screams the highs like the vc100's did

That very interesting. I was pushing my VC100s off a Orion 4002 for a while which is the same power as your Sundown (100w at 4ohm). Honestly, the tweeters laughed at the power, never had one issue with them with that power, never heated up, nothing, just beautiful output.

I agree with James about them being efficient, and not needing alot of power, I ran my gain somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2, but even with the gain up, the tweeters didnt show any sign of distress.

Hate to hear that, hope you get that figured out soon.

well the thing i hate is they are very hard to find and i really enjoyed these while they were working.

but i want some tweeters that can handle the power and shoot highs past my midbass. i just want them to scream. and the vc100's did that for a while, but i guess i pushed them past there limit possibly.

should there be a certain break in time for tweeters?

i agree with your previous statement, but at the same time, i dont wanna have extra power doing nothing if i have it.

james do you have any experience with some seas tweets?

try your tweets off the HU and bridge the 4 channel for your mids. boom, no wasted powa.

I've only heard the seas neo tweets, and two other uber expensive models. The neos are good for the money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.