need opinions, not sure what to get!

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrray13
10+ year member

uz some fegbags
IL
i currently have two cv 8d4's in a vented box. this is my problem, my amp is rated 380 wrms x 1 at 4 ohms. the gain is set just under half, the sub control on my h/u is set just over half, my subs are rated for 250 wrms and yet when i turn the volume up to just past halfway(yea, i know, alot of halfs) the subs start to "leave the gap". i was told that this won't hurt them(if not done all the time)yet it still sounds to me like one of them is smoked. one other thing, the low boost is all the way up(10 db). shouldn't my subs handle this power ok? i believe they are in series and parallel. they are 4 ohm dvc. so what gives?

as a possible solution i just priced eclipse 8708's and rf punch hx2 8's. i can get either or for $342 pr. which should i get? the vegas i have now sound clean and don't really want to lose that. i want spl too. any suggestions for either problem?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

your'e trying to get spl out of 8s why? you might get some nice mid bass out of them. what kind of amp are you using? as for an alternative rf makes good amps that is about it and eclipse makes a good sub like the 88100dvc or even better the 88100tidvc might have to break the piggy bank for those

The Eclipse 8700's have some serious balls and don't cost nearly as much as the 8800's

I reccomend the 8708's, I owned a pair of 8712's which were stolen and I have tried several other brands since them with dissapiontment.

first, for the record, spl outa 8's isn't impossible if your not shoting for 160's. when i say spl i mean LOUD feel it in your head bass. why 8's? cuz i need the room. i'm not trying to break records!!

second, a shop just told me to turn the gain all the way down, turn the sub control up, turn the radio to the volume i like and then turn the gain up until i hear distortion. at that point they said to just back the gain off a "tad". is this a good practise? nothing was said about the boost. will turning that off achieve the same result, or help the result?

last,but not least. would you get thesvc 8708's or the dvc?

I think they only come in 8 and 4ohm svc. Ask you local car audio shops where you can find them, or see if they can order them in, i don;t know any web places where you can get them.

i'm going to pawn it for the 8708's!!!

stereo one here close to town has the svc in stock. i can get the pair for $342. the sales guy told me that they make a dvc for about $10 more, but they would have to order them. he suggested the dvc.

8's can get plenty loud, go for the SPL, they are great. The best thing is that they are the cheapest, play the quickest, have great midbass, and take up so little space.

according to the link you posted somewhere else in the forum you are right. the 8708's only come in svc. i stand corrected and informed. i'm still not sure what to get though!

You have my personal assurance that the 8708's will give you what you desire, also there is no difference in sound between dvc or svc, you just get different wiring options so you you can run your amp at a desired load. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.