Need helo choosing an amp for Kicker 12;s

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jberny90

Well like the title says i need help choosing the best type of amp for my subs, theyre dvc 4 ohms,450 rms handling. I thought 2 channel was the best way to go but i read somehwhere that a mono block wired at 1 ohm would really make these subs pound! Im just trying to make these subwoofers bang as loud as i can get them to with the best combination, i dont want to spend alot on an amp since these subs arent brand new either, Thanks

A 2-channel amp is not my usual recommendation for running subs, but it can work. The problem is most full range amps are Class AB, and they will get hot. Based on your location it seems the last thing you want is an amp that already tends to run hot. I would get a big monoblock that will run those subs very easily. You should look to spend at least $200-250, plus another chunk of change for wiring. Since you didn't state a budget I don't know what you consider as a lot to spend.

Yeah its already super hot in Phoenix wouldnt want my amp to overheat. Well im willing to spend up to $200 on an amp but im also looking to maybe buy a used one, if thats not a bad idea. So what would be the Rms i should look for in a mono block amp?

Yeah look for an amp that says something in the specs like "1000 watts rms x 1 ohm". Make sure it's 1000 rms and not 1000 max. You'll probably want to run it by this forum before you buy it because some amps don't produce the power they say they do. A supposed 1000 watt amp that's cheap will actually produce something like 300 watts, whereas a quality 1000 watt amp will actually produce more than 1000 watts.

You can use this to learn to wire the subs in parallel if you don't already know: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2-DVC-4-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

I would look at an amp that has a lot of heatsink surface area, such as the JBL GTO-1001EZ. At minimum you should put some fans blowing across whatever amp you choose.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.