need an answer for this problem.....

NoahzBurnt
10+ year member

i've spoken with countless installers and shops and keep getting a run-around.....basically my problem is as follows:

I recently finished my install of a lot and I mean a lot of diamond audio products as well as quite a few high-power amps....now this is ultimately for SQ but it still blasts neighbor's window's( down the block that is )......after installing an Audio Control EQX i now notice that the lights in my car don't only dim but almost go competely black, as well as horrible gas milage and when my system is cranked up all the way the radio gets increasingly filled with static and the mids/highs sound like they're struggling for power......

My set-up includes 1 US Amps 2000X and 3 US Amps 400X's....

Recently i had to remove my second battery and a 5 Farad cap but I still had very similar problems.....

What can I do so that I can finally enjoy a day of sweet sounding music?!?!?!?!?

upgrade or add more HO alternators...will help with the dimming..

what are the shops telling you? to get a cap? hah.

do you play the system with the car off or while you're driving mos tof the time? whats it going into anyways?

ok here's the deal....your 150a alt isnt going to be able to handle all those amps.......adding a 2nd batt is just going to be an additional load on the alt as well as the 5farad cap........upgrade your alt/get a 2nd alt......depends on how much actual current your system draws....but thats the problem your having....peace

i dont think they could rewind an alt that high..you might need to fork over big bucks and just buy a new one. i personally would check to see if you can just add a second alt.

Originally posted by NoahzBurnt does anyone know a good place in NYC to have my alt rewound to 300 amps???
Grab a phonebook...look for alternator shops. Good luck finding one that will do it that high, no one around here will go over 120...
Better off getting yourself a H.O. alternator.

any suggestions in terms of brands???

plus I am aware of the fact that my car uses internal voltage regulators, will that interfere??? are there any potential problems with swapping alts???

I'd say your only options for that kind of power are either a second HO alternator (200A preferably) or an Ohio Generator one capable of around 300A (I believe they go this high). It'd most likely be cheaper to add a good 200A alternator than get a single 300A alternator. This would also give you the option of rewinding your existing alternator to around 200A if you decide to upgrade again. Either way, it won't exactly be cheap.

also, make sure all your grounds like engine to chassis, chassis to battery are all the same size as your power wire.....upgraded grounds makes a big differece.....yeah jmac is defintloy right about your alt....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.