My Theory

Participant count
  • Participant list

FiendAZ
10+ year member

Phoenix
OK, I am going to rebuild my box to custom fit my trunk. I also have a theory I want to try in building my box. See, I want to have my subs faced in an upside down position, facing the floor. Now, I want to mount supports to the box to hold it up in the air. I want a hard, sound reflecting material right benieth the subs. My idea of how the sound waves would be distributed is shown in the attached picture. What I want to know is, has anyone tried this before? Even so, how do you guys think this would work IF it were set up CORRECTLY?

The reason that I opt for material right underneath the sub and not lining the whole floor of the trunk is to conserve weight and money. However, what if I also put another sheet of sound-bouncing material (I am thinking a nice slab of 1 inch MDF or similar material will do!) facing vertically behind the subs in my trunk, at an angle to bounce the sound into the cabin of my car when the seats are folded down.

No one has anything to say? I personally think that this might be a really good idea......think about it; you face your subs backwards so that they bounce off of the back of your car and back into the cab. Now, lets take that, and slap a sturdy piece of HPL of MDF about 8 inches in front of the sub, and you have a solid, clean surface for the sound to bounce off of.

well the reason that most people face the subs towards the rear is because it makes the sound waves longer because it is a longer distance to reach the listener in the front seat making the music seem louder and sound deeper. But i am not sure if i am 100% correct in this. I think that you should just try your idea and see how you like it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.