My first FG attempt... :-/

negativezeroz
5,000+ posts

Nothing Is Promised
Well I'm using bonbo fiberglass resin and bondo fiberglass mat. I didn't get the mat tight enough on first layer so there are some saggy areas but will fix once the layers are dry.

Here it is..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blush.gif.99bc659ee2012b7d826165e26fb5eebe.gif

its' hideous I know..

you should use fleece for the first layer because it stretches really well
wel this is my first "attempt" lol so on the box that actually counts I will cuz I did notice the mat is hard to get tight cuz it just stretches and doesnt stay tight...but no holes in the mat tho which is good

I have alot of sanding and bondoing to do...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

i think it looks good cause i haven't messed around with fiberglass.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif thanks...it is alot easier than I imagined it to be...I wish I would have started it earlier..like last year...hard part is gonna be getting it smooth and symmetrical

wel this is my first "attempt" lol so on the box that actually counts I will cuz I did notice the mat is hard to get tight cuz it just stretches and doesnt stay tight...but no holes in the mat tho which is good

I have alot of sanding and bondoing to do...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
thats because fiberglass is not ment to be "stretched" it is ment to either mold around areas or reinforce resin soaked materials. I would just stretch a t-shirt or something over it and resin it then lay mat on top of that. Will be easier than having a 200lb bondo box.

id strongly suggest you rip that off, and use some hot-glue (high temperature) and glue stretched fleece down, and re-resin.

you will seriously be happy you did. if you dont, you will be spending at least two more hours applying bondo and sanding (possibly more if this is your first time)

id strongly suggest you rip that off, and use some hot-glue (high temperature) and glue stretched fleece down, and re-resin.
you will seriously be happy you did. if you dont, you will be spending at least two more hours applying bondo and sanding (possibly more if this is your first time)
well ive made it this far im just gonna sand and bondo away this week so it iwll be a learning experience for me...my next box (within 2 wks will be replacing my current ~1.7ft^3 ported at ~29Hz enclosure for my (3) 804's).....that one I will use fleece and mat...thanks tho guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i use 3M spray adhesive (only 3M) it works really well and is easier to use then hot glue;)

well ive made it this far im just gonna sand and bondo away this week so it iwll be a learning experience for me...my next box (within 2 wks will be replacing my current ~1.7ft^3 ported at ~29Hz enclosure for my (3) 804's).....that one I will use fleece and mat...thanks tho guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
suit yourself.

i still highly recommend tearing it off while you still can. you have no idea how hard thats going to be to fix.

Getting there brother man. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Like was said previously that's gonna take a crap load of filler. Which isn't a good thing. If you really don't want to redo it fleece, t-shirt, grill cloth, trunk liner or what have you ( I personally would ). Instead of plain jane body filler you really should use some glass reinforced filler. A whole lot stronger. body filler by itself that thick is just asking for trouble. Don't get discouraged though your getting it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

negativezeroz

5,000+ posts
Nothing Is Promised
negativezeroz
-salad fingers-
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date