my amp drains my battery

imallthatisman
10+ year member

missouri
ok, i need a new way to hook up my amp. its too 2000 watts and it cant be hooked up directly to my stereo... therefor i have it hooked strait up to my battery. but my amplifire is always on. what else can i do besides put a "kill switch" on it?

no its a sony somthing ive had it in other cars and its worked fine because i have had a remote wire now i dont and i need to know what to do. I dont have one because someone had the jeep before me and took every wire to the stereo ive rewired it but there isnt a memory wire and i cant find a place for one

You might need a new HU wiring harness so you can fix the missing or jumbled up wiring. but you need a blue remote wire to run to your amp so it turns on when your HU does. sure you can ghetto rig a 12v remote kill switch to turn the amp on & off but again....ghetto..

there is a wire that turns on when the car turns on (it tells the headunit, etc when to turn on). use that. be cautious about using the remote line..you might blow the relay on the headunit (depending on how many amperes your amplifier pulls for the REM)

no its a sony somthing ive had it in other cars and its worked fine because i have had a remote wire now i dont and i need to know what to do. I dont have one because someone had the jeep before me and took every wire to the stereo ive rewired it but there isnt a memory wire and i cant find a place for one
............ ,,,,,,,

Here is a few periods and commas. Feel free to use them. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif j/k

Really though... I would either get a new Head Unit harness or go to radio shack and see if you can buy the stuff to make/fix yours with the Molex Connectors.

I have done this with a few old school amps and head units..

a similar thing happened to a friend of mine, his remote wire was plugged in correctly but it just stopped working for some reason. You could use a switch, but that is pretty ghetto. One alternative that should work is using a fuse tap on the ignition fuse and using that as the remote wire. might want to check around to see if that would actually work seeing as my experience is rather small with **** like this

Either way you go ....make sure to fuse your remote turn on lead with a SMALL fuse....Something around 1/2 amp....maybe even a 1/4amp. From the sounds of it you'll probably gonna need it, eventually.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.