My 99 Hoe is heavy

speedyjuarez
Premium Member

Premium Member
So my 99 Tahoe is getting heavy and fixing to get heavier with two more 15s, amp, two batts, and wiring.

I just replaced the power steering gear box and had it aligned, the mech advised me to replace my shocks because he said they are bouncy. I have noticed its bouncy when hitting bumps and fear it will get worse once I'm done with my install.I plan to lower my ride after I buy some rims. ( 1 to 2 year process).

So what shocks do you guys recommend?

What else could I do or should I do?

My SRT came with bilstein factory. Nice shocks & most guys just bought them and didn't go aftermarket. Check tirerack on some reviews about them biksteins. You can always do a bag setup in the rear to help with the weight.

Front and rear.
Not really looking at bags seems very price for parts and labor. I'm trying to do the install myself.
How much are you looking to spend? Do you care about the overall ride or do you just want it stiff for the system? and what does your rear end consist of like air shocks and leaf springs or what?

How much are you looking to spend? Do you care about the overall ride or do you just want it stiff for the system? and what does your rear end consist of like air shocks and leaf springs or what?
Not sure on how much I want to go money wise. Not sure what I should do on performance, I guess stiff would be best. It has leaf springs and shocks in the rear and springs and shocks in the front.

3.73 gears if not already in place so its less work on the transmission. Then look for weight specs on struts and not what everyone recommends.

Also add brembo brakes to help stop the ride.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Not sure on how much I want to go money wise. Not sure what I should do on performance, I guess stiff would be best. It has leaf springs and shocks in the rear and springs and shocks in the front.
Personally I would put some fox coilovers on the front with whatever size you need to fit stock mounting positions(probably a 6 inch shock) then get some stiff eibach springs(about 600 weight springs) with whatever size is best on the 6 inch shock(probably a 12 inch spring) Then set your preload down a bit and you're rocking. As far as the back goes you could get some fox air shocks. This is just my recommendation based on my experience from offroad suspension. You can look on downsouthmotorsports since they are usually the best prices and they have shocks that are strictly meant for replacing in the stock locations as well so you can go look on that site. The setup I said will probably be a bit of money but the quality of fox, king, sway away, bilstein are amazing and they will last for as long as you have the truck. You can take a look at the other shocks from those companies that are made for direct replacements as well. hopefully that all made sense and I didn't ramble too much lol

3.73 gears if not already in place so its less work on the transmission. Then look for weight specs on struts and not what everyone recommends.
Also add brembo brakes to help stop the ride.

4:10 = even less work. But either way it will burn more gas, he needs to see what his factory gearing is.

Just brembo brakes ?? What piston should be get ? Why not Baer brakes?

So he should not listen to anyone with product usage. That's kinda like not giving opinions on a audio forum.

4:10 = even less work. But either way it will burn more gas, he needs to see what his factory gearing is. Just brembo brakes ?? What piston should be get ? Why not Baer brakes?

So he should not listen to anyone with product usage. That's kinda like not giving opinions on a audio forum.
4.10 is for constant towing in low gear and 3.73 would be for daily and make a heavier tahoe drive like if stock.

As for brakes i recommend brembo brakes meaning jist the normal big brake kits built for the year and no custom sizes unless he has bigger rims already.

When i said dont listen to people i meant for struts and shocks because many get them for stiffening take offs, for larger tires, for towing heavier loads.

He should just look at the weight he plans to add to make a choice of what to get. Especially if he plans to lower the tahoe as you would need to compensate for the weight when doing a turn.

4.10 is for constant towing in low gear and 3.73 would be for daily and make a heavier tahoe drive like if stock.
As for brakes i recommend brembo brakes meaning jist the normal big brake kits built for the year and no custom sizes unless he has bigger rims already.

When i said dont listen to people i meant for struts and shocks because many get them for stiffening take offs, for larger tires, for towing heavier loads.

He should just look at the weight he plans to add to make a choice of what to get. Especially if he plans to lower the tahoe as you would need to compensate for the weight when doing a turn.

When my buddy did his wall and added a bunch of weight he just had new leafs made to handle the weight. Probably one of the best options along with new shocks. Agree I had 4:10 in my old truck and if it didn't have 6 gears I would of been screwed lol. I had brembos also, 2 piston calipers. I'll agree they are very well built brake systems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

speedyjuarez

Premium Member
Premium Member
speedyjuarez
Live in Hobbs, NM. From Ft Worth, TX
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date