Multiple amps or Single big amp

Participant count
  • Participant list
Alright, so after reading multiple pages on forums and whatnot, I'm at a cross road. I have 7 subs in a b pillar wall. They are entry level alpines. Currently I'm running a VFL 150.1 at 1.57 ohms. (shop did some weird configuration) Anyway, tax season is getting near and I'm looking to upgrade my power. Given my odd number of subs I've thought about getting 7 smaller amps like sundown sae 600d or getting a larger amp, like an SCV 4000d. Any suggestions in favor or against? The subs will be upgraded soon as well. I'm thinking FU 750s.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

This is a loaded question on all levels. The options are endless, however, given what you are saying I would keep it simple. Go with one amp that can handle the load. This would mean you need a 1 Ohm stable amp...which will limit your selection (a good thing) but it will likely be expensive. Probably not as expensive as 7 seperate amps and the wires to do all that.

This being said, if you plan on upgrading subs, you would then be limited to the same impedance and wiring configuration you have.

It is likely that unless you get a monstrously huge amplifier, that dividing the power into 7 subs, you won't need to upgrade subs. Get some nice clean power to them and your amp would have to be 3000+Watts before your subs couldn't handle the power...

Make sense?

Yes, my only concern would be box rise at this point. I don't have any instruments to measure it. After rise I would think it'd be above 3 ohms if not more. But I dunno honestly. I didn't mean for it to be a loaded question. I've just considered my options and didn't know how one option would be preferable to the other. Even strapping 2 amps would be an option right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.