Morel Tempo Ultra 602 vs CDT Audio ES-62i

Participant count
  • Participant list

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
Does anybody know anything about CDT Audio ES-42i 2-way component speakers? I know of the Morels and know of their reputation. I doni't know the CDTs. They both cost the same on Amazon. Looking a little deeper I see the Morels midbass is made of "a treated paper composite cone" while the CDT's midbass is made of "a mixed Kevlar/fiberglass cast". Does that make the CDT offering a better made driver? But, I am most interested in sound quality. Has anybody listened to both of these systems? If so, what do you think of them and which one do you prefer?

Would you consider those Morels the best system in it's class?

And, oops, I just realized I started this thread in the wrong section. If I could move it, I would.

Would you consider those Morels the best system in it's class?
And, oops, I just realized I started this thread in the wrong section. If I could move it, I would.
You can achieve similar or better results by going active with raw drivers proper DSP tuning and Full on high quality SQ install with acoustical treatments all over to the vehicle and proper positioning etc.. Takes some knowledge and a lot of testing and experimentation but results would be a lot better. If you just want a nice sound quality system with a basic head unit, then those morels should make you feel all giddy, happy and warm inside.

You can achieve similar or better results by going active with raw drivers proper DSP tuning and Full on high quality SQ install with acoustical treatments all over to the vehicle and proper positioning etc.. Takes some knowledge and a lot of testing and experimentation but results would be a lot better. If you just want a nice sound quality system with a basic head unit, then those morels should make you feel all giddy, happy and warm inside.
Would it be more expensive to go the raw drivers route? I've never considered doing raw drivers...something to think about. Would the DSP in my Eclipse CD8053 be good enough to do a great job?

Would it be more expensive to go the raw drivers route? I've never considered doing raw drivers...something to think about. Would the DSP in my Eclipse CD8053 be good enough to do a great job?
No, you need some form of crossover capabilities. You'll either have to use a in line crossover capacitor or something with a crossover network. Once you taken care of those, you head unit should make everything sound real nice afterwards.

I am not very familiar with crossovers. The Eclipse CD8053 has crossover capabilities, but, I am guessing not enough? I also will be using an Arc Audio KS900.6 amp. That is supposed to be a very flexible amp. Would this not be enough? Forgive me if these sound like stupid questions. I am just learning this stuff as I go along.

id imagine you heard and tested them? morel is over priced and over hyped.
I've heard morels out the box and they sound much better straight out the box without any tuning vs the finicky CDT ES series i've owned which took lots of tuning and experimentation just to sound decent and they really did not impress at all. Almost all other high end audio companies sound better than all the CDT setups i've come across. These weren't janky setups either they really worked hard on the tuning. It could just be personal taste I hate the way they sound to be honest however i'm not alone in that regard.

I've heard morels out the box and they sound much better straight out the box without any tuning vs the finicky CDT ES series i've owned which took lots of tuning and experimentation just to sound decent and they really did not impress at all. Almost all other high end audio companies sound better than all the CDT setups i've come across. These weren't janky setups either they really worked hard on the tuning. It could just be personal taste I hate the way they sound to be honest however i'm not alone in that regard.
ive owned a few sets and i just have to diagree. ill keep it at that.

the morel driver literally offer no real scientific advantages over the CDT drivers and they are much much more expensive. the DRT 26 is probably one of the nicest silk dome tweeters (custom made by vifa) at the price range.. the ES mids only real downfall is its slightly high inductance. they naturally roll off around 3k from what i've experienced. the ES6 and 06 have killer midbass and a natural smooth midrange that will rival some of the best mids that cannot play and low and as clean.

while i love the morels because they are some of the best drivers i just don't think they are worth 2x the price of the ES drivers.

your a fart smeller i mean smart fella, maybe the drivers where a product of a bad batch. but hoenstly i sealed my doors up pretty decently put a nice bit of sound deadning and the ES6s kicked ***. the only thing i could never work out just right was right at the xover i got a little bit of a phasiing isse becasue the mids where down low and the tweeter was on aixs shoulder height.

name a high-end set ive hear it.

helix

morel

focal

hetrz

dynaudio

and i can honestly say i enjoyed the **** outta the ES6 and drt26 ative.. if the set had more air it was too aressive.. if the set have a better midrange is lacked the depth and warmth the ES had..

so if you ask me.. the ES 6 is easily comparable to the morel elite 602 and for almost half the price..

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

What would you recommend? What is it about the SQ of the Morels that you do not like?
they sound great but they didn't have the volume i wanted

Thing is its not just my car. Several ES series cars have the same lack of clarity, depth, smoothness and detail that you can easily acheive with drivers costing 1/6 the price of the ES series. Midbass was there, mids were far from smooth unless heavily eqed down. tried every crossover point you can imagine. If its a horrible phase issue, it should have happened with other sets i've used in my car as well, but nope even when used in a home theatre bookshelf configuration, the sound was still not impressive at all.

honestly everybody is different but if you want a setup from the CDT i really like the rainbow platinum or dynaduio esotar^2 they are considerably more but they are engineered to excel..

if your one a say 800 dollar budget its my opinion that the ES6 and the ES-01 tweeter are hard pressed to be beat consider the output levels they reach.. don't take my advice for it though go hear some sets.

Thing is its not just my car. Several ES series cars have the same lack of clarity, depth, smoothness and detail that you can easily acheive with drivers costing 1/6 the price of the ES series. Midbass was there, mids were far from smooth unless heavily eqed down. tried every crossover point you can imagine. If its a horrible phase issue, it should have happened with other sets i've used in my car as well, but nope even when used in a home theatre bookshelf configuration, the sound was still not impressive at all.
was that the same set. because i loved mine. the older sets when they first did the fiberglass cones had some breakup issses and was kinda lacking but the most recent ones iwth hte black cones are much stiffer and got rid of those probablems..

was that the same set. because i loved mine. the older sets when they first did the fiberglass cones had some breakup issses and was kinda lacking but the most recent ones iwth hte black cones are much stiffer and got rid of those probablems..
i had the fiberglass cones thats probably the reason why. A lot of breakup as you said.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
dsw1204
Fairfield, OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views