Mitsubishi Evo VIII SQ install...

Participant count
  • Participant list

mcm308
10+ year member

Perhaps someone here has been into one of these and can help me out.

1st thing will be interior removal and wiring.. I need to remove the dashboard to install the tweeters upward firing into the windshield. I've had this setup before and was very pleased with it's sound after I tuned it. Pain in the booty to get it done but I like that way.

Whats the easiest way to route the cables? Power will be 4 gauge. I am thinking the power cable under one of the sill plates to the trunk and the RCA's under the center console and then I can get them under the carpet to the rear seats and into the trunk...

The equipment will consist of.. an Eclipse CD7000 deck, I miss my old 8053:crying:

Diamond Audio Hex 600's for the front stage w/ XTC baffles , Mmats LM4065 amp, Audio Control Matrix, Knuconceptz Karma RCA's. I might use a set of Morel Pulse drivers I have for rear fill, Not sure yet.. I kind of like just the front stage setup for SQ... I'll probably install them and then if me no likey...just disconnect. I've had the Diamonds before and they REALLY Knock... and are crystal clear! The doors have to be sound damped and anything that can vibrate needs to redone to run the Hex's properly in a door.. They knock that hard !

I need to figure where I'm going to mount the Hex crossovers.. They are friggen' HUGE... this will probably be the biggest feat.. And then figure where the crossover to speaker wiring will go... Ohh, the maddness..

tips and tricks will be appreciated !

To Be Continued...

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps someone here has been into one of these and can help me out.
1st thing will be interior removal and wiring.. I need to remove the dashboard to install the tweeters upward firing into the windshield. I've had this setup before and was very pleased with it's sound after I tuned it. Pain in the booty to get it done but I like that way.

Whats the easiest way to route the cables? Power will be 4 gauge. I am thinking the power cable under one of the sill plates to the trunk and the RCA's under the center console and then I can get them under the carpet to the rear seats and into the trunk...

The equipment will consist of.. an Eclipse CD7000 deck, I miss my old 8053:crying:

Diamond Audio Hex 600's for the front stage w/ XTC baffles , Mmats LM4065 amp, Audio Control Matrix, Knuconceptz Karma RCA's. I might use a set of Morel Pulse drivers I have for rear fill, Not sure yet.. I kind of like just the front stage setup for SQ... I'll probably install them and then if me no likey...just disconnect. I've had the Diamonds before and they REALLY Knock... and are crystal clear! The doors have to be sound damped and anything that can vibrate needs to redone to run the Hex's properly in a door.. They knock that hard !

I need to figure where I'm going to mount the Hex crossovers.. They are friggen' HUGE... this will probably be the biggest feat.. And then figure where the crossover to speaker wiring will go... Ohh, the maddness..

tips and tricks will be appreciated !

To Be Continued...
I've got a build going on my VIII. I'm no help on taking out the dash but I've had almost everything else below the windows out, seats door panels and interior pieces. Here is the thread with pics. You are right about the power wire, the door sills have tons of room and even have clips not used on the driver side that will hold 4g perfectly. Don't be afraid to dive in, the Evo is one of the easiest cars I've had as far as interior removal goes. Can't wait to see how your build turns out.

I've got a build going on my VIII. I'm no help on taking out the dash but I've had almost everything else below the windows out, seats door panels and interior pieces. Here is the thread with pics. You are right about the power wire, the door sills have tons of room and even have clips not used on the driver side that will hold 4g perfectly. Don't be afraid to dive in, the Evo is one of the easiest cars I've had as far as interior removal goes. Can't wait to see how your build turns out.
Thanks ! I read your thread the other day. I'm not afraid to dive in, I just hate breaking plastic clips when your not sure how it comes apart! It always happens.

Hopefully I can get started on this next week.

I found a NIB set of Rainbow SLC 265.03 components I decided to jump on instead of the Hex components. I think I got them for a good price so I hope they perform as well as the Diamonds or atleast almost as well, I have read nothing but good about these.. We will see !

I am also contemplating the tweets on the A-pillar to simplify things a little..

BTW, My ride is Apex Silver also.. Plenty of pics will follow !

Thanks ! I read your thread the other day. I'm not afraid to dive in, I just hate breaking plastic clips when your not sure how it comes apart! It always happens.Hopefully I can get started on this next week.

I found a NIB set of Rainbow SLC 265.03 components I decided to jump on instead of the Hex components. I think I got them for a good price so I hope they perform as well as the Diamonds or atleast almost as well, I have read nothing but good about these.. We will see !

I am also contemplating the tweets on the A-pillar to simplify things a little..

BTW, My ride is Apex Silver also.. Plenty of pics will follow !
I broke a clip pulling out the center console kick panel on the passenger side foot well, tip pull it straight out lol. I fixed it with CA glue so my only real casualty was my driver door window switch cover plate. I gouged it removing my seat, it's a $25 part. I'm living with it for now but I'll replace it eventually. No offense on the dive in comment, just trying to convey I think it's an easy interior.

I was shooting for something like a budget SQ install, not sure I even hit that mark but I can't leave well enough alone so I'm already looking to upgrade/replace components. AS ftmfw!

Well, here is the ride.. I had a few minutes to spare so I traced some new beefier adapters out of 3/8" thick building material called AZAK or something like that. It's strong as ****, impervious to water,etc. won't rot like wood, can be cut and sanded just like wood.. I used one of those flimsy .25" adapters from carspeakeradapters.com as a template.. Really.. that thing isn't that sturdy..//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245-1.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.